In the last 2 days on Mashable it has been reported that new user and unique visitor growth has leveled out for both Facebook and Twitter (both are below 2% growth per month in the US over the last few months). Linkedin, however, is growing at close to 6% monthly both in the US and internationally. Additionally, Linkedin recently surpassed the 50 million mark in users.

The question is, do these two trends indicate that Linkedin is on its way to being the social media of choice for businesses? I would say so but as there is no advertising in Linkedin the use of Linkedin is truly as a networking tool. The marketing efforts in Facebook and Twitter still show those to be the most popular channels for seeking new business in terms of social media. Any thoughts?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I have found it somewhat useful. I haven't had any success through LinkedIn yet, but I'm hoping it will be another check in my favor. The goal for any business person joining LinkedIn is to make new business connections. Linkedin provides options that will allow your profile to be indexed by search engines, like Google. We can make use of these options to achieve visibility on the Web.

I have found it somewhat useful. I haven't had any success through LinkedIn yet, but I'm hoping it will be another check in my favor. The goal for any business person joining LinkedIn is to make new business connections. Linkedin provides options that will allow your profile to be indexed by search engines, like Google. We can make use of these options to achieve visibility on the Web.

True but do not discount the ability for your company to be found also. Using options like setting up a corporate page or the add-ons like feeding your blog through your profile and profiles of co-workers. Or posting a compelling presentation. Also, wisely using the three links available. Also by joining groups and answering questions which will increase your status as an expert will also draw attention as will monitoring groups that potential clients would be in and looking out for the ones looking for solutions. One of my clients has already closed two deals that came through the Linkedin pipeline.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.