HI all, its me again.

Anyway I am new and I was wondering if any of you out there in the IT world, can tell me in simple terms what is back linking and what is the best method of doing this.

I am lloking to promote several site and get traffic.

Any ideas!!!!!

Recommended Answers

All 21 Replies

Backlinks are links that are coming into your website. In the world of SEO Content is King and Links Building is Queen. To measure how many links you currently have simply go to http://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/ Yahoo provides the most comprehensive list of incoming (backlinks) to your site. Simply put the url of your site into the input box next to the explore url command button. Second, click on the inlinks tab. Third, change the option "from all pages" to "except from this domain". Fourth, change "only this url" to "entire site". That will display how many inlinks (backlinks) you have. The quality of those links will be determined by how well the content from that linking page (including the anchor text (and if the anchor text is a keyword)) matches with the content on the landing page (page the link refers the visitor to (not always the home page and if not the home page then it is known as a "deep link"). To begin your own link building strategy you should research your competitors' link building efforts. Try to get links on the sites they use for links to your site. There is also a plethora of social bookmarking sites that allow you to post articles, press releases, etc. that include links. You should include 2-4 links (using keyword-rich anchor text)within a paragraph (4-5 sentences). Some of the social bookmarking sites have a strict "nofollow" link policy so the search engines won't recognize them, but the potential traffic from those sites shouldn't be ignored. There are also a few link submission sites out there....but I'll leave the research for those sites up to you.

thanks has been really usful. Do you do SEO for people.

Yeah, I work for an SEO and SMO (social media optimization) company called Purpletrout. We've been doing SEO for quite some time with local, regional, national, and international clients. Right now we are doing free SEO for non-profits so, so if you know any NPOs who need SEO (its FREE!) then tell them to Google [removed company advertisement] (not sure if I'm allowed to post the website address up here but its the same as the name.) The deadline is October 31, 2009 so they need to hurry up.

Backlinking means getting links from other websites to your sites.This is one of the SEO techniques webmasters & bloggers use to promote their sites.

You can do it by adding link of your website while commenting on other blogs,through social networking sites,by link exchange & by adding your link in forums as signature.

Generally... how back links work is that the more sites link back to your site, the more value search engines will give to the article in question, and your site in general.

In now days forums, and social media is the best way to promote your businesses.

Backlinks are only a small part of SEO. There are many other factors. The best is to read directly from Google or Bing what is needed to rank high first. Go to the webmasters sections and read every document that you can find.

AFTER you have done that you can educate yourself further in forums. If you do not have the true data first you will be send into all kind of different directions without getting any further with your web sites.

commented: good advice +4

Dont you think Back links is the power of a website? Strong back links give more points to websites to come up in the google search list.

HI all, its me again.

Anyway I am new and I was wondering if any of you out there in the IT world, can tell me in simple terms what is back linking and what is the best method of doing this.

I am lloking to promote several site and get traffic.

Any ideas!!!!!

Back links are links from other sites that links back to your site. Here are some of the techniques that helps your site get back links:

blog commenting
article submissions
classified ads
forum posting
social bookmarking
link exchange
press release

Nice post thanks

commented: Sig spam. No thanks. -2

Back links are links from other sites that links back to your site. Here are some of the techniques that helps your site get back links:

blog commenting
article submissions
classified ads
forum posting
social bookmarking
link exchange
press release

Yes very much agree with these techniques.... Article submission needs to be done carefully as some directories spoils your link.

This is a lot of great information. I believe you definitely got your question answered. One of the best ways to backlink is find websites with high PR's that pertain to your website.

Hi,

I have +8 years of intensive experience in SEO/SEM activities. As a skilled SEO professional with outstanding technical background, with extensive experience working for all SEM activities with meeting exceptional ranking results and deviling some very positive online solutions. I am confident that I can help you to meet the challenges that you now face for SEO tasks.

Hire me for this job @ 5$ per link

Thanks,
San
sansuncore@yahoo.com

Hi San, please try to keep discussions on topic. If you would like to advertise your SEO services, you are welcome to do so in the Business Exchange forum located here at DaniWeb - http://www.daniweb.com/forums/forum152.html

Here's a concept: If you are obsessed with acquiring backlinks, why not create important, unique webpages that webmasters naturally deem worthy of offering a link, or not? Your own internal linking strategy is far more valuable than any external one. Why would you want to try out some of the trendy link building schemes whose aims are exclusively to artificially increase the volume, relevancy and credibility of incoming links; in an attempt to manipulate the search engine. Rather than making it appear like you have important content because of the quantity of backlinks, why not just create important well-optimized content. It's much more predictable and completely within your own control.

This will require some new skills however, especially in innovative use of the language and effectively, not overly, emphasizing primary keyphrases.

commented: well said +1

Perfectly said Fred... This concept should be required reading for every seo.

Perfectly said Fred... This concept should be required reading for every seo.

Thanks Jay.

^ he pretty much listed all the methods in gaining backlinks. you can also do directory submission tho, it takes time to be approved.

Backlinks are links of your site that appear in other sites and this is what search engines use to rank your site. For me, the best way to get backlinks for your site is article marketing.

Backlinks are links of your site that appear in other sites and this is what search engines use to rank your site. For me, the best way to get backlinks for your site is article marketing.

*slams head on desk*
by 'article marketing,' you of course mean creating well-written and highly informative articles that are related to your respective industry and worthy of publishing on established venues for possible distribution among your peers - yes??

*slams head on desk*
by 'article marketing,' you of course mean creating well-written and highly informative articles that are related to your respective industry and worthy of publishing on established venues for possible distribution among your peers - yes??

Yes, thats what i mean. And also when writing those articles remember to add a link to your site inside the content you wrote.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.