I noticed that my gmail login allows me to use other google appls and search engine but it also records everything. So an idea came to my mind - do you think that Google can easily search a user and generate a list of search terms the user have visited?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Yes - i definitely think they can and I'm sure their toolbar tracks usage as well. So even if you don't have a Goog Account, they can still track one's usage via the Toolbar and tie it back to your IP.

I wonder if Google works with Federal organizations to help crack down on illegal online material.

Yes - i definitely think they can and I'm sure their toolbar tracks usage as well. So even if you don't have a Goog Account, they can still track one's usage via the Toolbar and tie it back to your IP.

I wonder if Google works with Federal organizations to help crack down on illegal online material.

I think that in today's world they most certainly do, although they won't easily admit to it. All search engines do, as they should. It's a pretty small, bizzarre world we live in now.

The thing about people's search criteria, and clicking patterns being stored that annoys me the most is that they sell this data to outside corporation. Google doesn't admit to it that I know of but Yahoo admits to it boastfully. The selling of Internaught trends allows advertising companies explicit lists of people interests and they in turn can deliver online ads directed exclusively for individual IP address (home addresses mostly) and even individual computers within a home network. Dad gets one set of ads while Bobby gets another. This to me is an invasion of privacy especially since the average Yahoo searcher hasn't any knowledge of this tracking or how they are being bombarded with custom ads.

Companies value this type of data while the general consumer does not realize that they generate a wealth of actionable data points. I remember years ago I read that Yahoo not only stored your password but they have the right to use your password. It was in a tiny print but it raised my concern radar back then.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.