Hi, I have two available names for my site. One is a dot com and the other is a dot me. My question is did dot me catch on? Anyone know any reason not to use dot me besides dot com is more popular and comes to most peoples minds? The .me is appropriate for the site but will that hurt the chances of people finding it. Any comments or experiences with dot me would be great.
Thanx.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I personally was in a similar dilema some time ago. I concluded that:
1. For some reason, you hardly find any .me or .us domains/sites on SERPs
2. search engine crawlers may not crawl as often on .me or .us sites (can someone please confirm this for me).
3. you really have to plug your site as .me. If you are relying just on SERP, I would re-consider unless you have a SEM campaign in place.

Hi, I have two available names for my site. One is a dot com and the other is a dot me. My question is did dot me catch on? Anyone know any reason not to use dot me besides dot com is more popular and comes to most peoples minds? The .me is appropriate for the site but will that hurt the chances of people finding it. Any comments or experiences with dot me would be great.
Thanx.

Search engines usually consider a dot com TLD more legitimate than .info, .biz, .net, etc. and award some additional value to the webpages within. If I am not mistaken, the .me extension is a country specific one being often used for purposes beyond regional usage and would fall within the same "spammed out" pool of extensions originally intended to be country specific but exploited by Internet marketers globally (like the .tv, .it, .cc etc.). Having a web site hosted in a country another than where the extension derives (ie a .ca TLD hosted in India) would raise red flags for the search engines, especially if the extension is already well known to be playgrounds for spammers (or any purpose other than what the extension was originally created to identify).

Thanks Canada Fred for confirming my suspicions.

From experience, a SEM campaign for a local domain on a local market has better results than on the global market. If your target is Google.com, go for the .com domain.

Thanks everyone. Good info.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.