PayPal
If you just have a few products and don't need the full features of a shopping cart CMS then have a look into PayPal 'buy now' buttons. This is the easiest platform to get started with - all you do is copy and paste some code into your website (under the product description) and everything is taken care of for you. So you could get a Wordpress/Joomla/Modx site built and just paste the code in anywhere... very simple and all the book keeping is done through PayPal.

Magento
For full features go with Magento - hands down the best designs and is a relatively new CMS that doesn't have outdated code. There is lots of free templates but it does take some knowledge to customize the CMS so go with a pro if you want any extras.

Joomla virtuemart
If you have a social community site then go with Joomla because they are he best. It doesn't come with a shopping cart but the virtuemart add on is easy to use and give you everything you could need.

Hope this helps!

Recommended Answers

All 29 Replies

Thanks for the tib bit of information.

Yes adding the PayPal button is easy on sites. I have it on my blog as well.

I never heard of Magento so I have to look into it.

I prefer native CMS for e-commerce, but I can suggest these new cms for e-commerce sites that can be easy to use for non-techie users, try platform2u, it is the only cms platform for e-commerce that is complete with amenities like payment gateway and such.

I think Joomla is the best ecommerce CMS. you can make shopping cart website in Joomla.

Well it depends upon the type of website you want to create. For example if you want a simple ecommerce website with just the shopping cart and product listing features, you can use any of the CMSes like Magento, Oscommerce, Drupal usercart and Joomla Virtumart and even wordpress ecommerce. But for the other sophisticated websites like enterprise ecommmerce websites or multiple vendor websites with shipping tracking and catalog management options you can use enterprise versions of Magento or customize other opensource CMS.
But if you are looking for a CMS that is extensive enough and supported by the developer company, you can use custom solution with xcart or zencart or paid ecommerce system like PHP-Nuke, Plone or Cubecart etc etc

I don't own an ecommerce site but I worked for a client before who owns one. The CMS used was XCart. I find it easy to use and with good support too from the provider. I've been hearing also of Magento and Oscommerce. They are becoming popular these days.

Ecommerce website with aloof the arcade barrow and artefact advertisement features, you can use any of the CMS like Magento, Oscommerce, Drupal usercart and Joomla Virtumart and alike wordpress ecommerce. But for the added adult websites like action ecommerce websites or assorted bell-ringer websites with aircraft tracking and archive administration options you can use action versions of Magento or adapt added open source CMS.

I tried using Joomla and I did not find it too easy to use as others claim it was. I will check out the others. Thanks.

There are many cms..where one is better than other here magento is better for shopping websites..and joomla provides shopping ,along with ...Joomla! is an open source content management system platform for publishing content on the World Wide Web and intranets as well as a Model–view–controller (MVC) Web application framework. It is written in PHP, stores data in MySQL and includes features such as page caching, RSS feeds, printable versions of pages, news flashes, blogs, polls, search, and support for language internationalization.

Within its first year of release, Joomla was downloaded 2.5 million times. Over 5,000 free and commercial plug-ins are available for Joomla

A variety of useful items (mam bots/plugins and components) primarily for LDAP, tested in a Nov ell e Directory environment. It contains: LDAP User Synchronization, LDAP User Authentication, LDAP Single Sign On. These tools are available for both Joomla! 1.0 and Joomla! 1.5....

Wordpress is good for any kinds of cms

Drupal with the Ubercart modules is pretty powerful. There's a bit of a learning curve with Drupal, but it's amazing what you can do with it once you learn.

I think presta is professional e-Commerce shopping cart software that you can download and use for free. It supports a lot of interesting features for a total control of your e-Commerce shop.

I think WordPress is the best CMS.The WordPress dashboard is very easy to understand and create new jobs and download images is simple. It can be used as an exit from the box solution. WordPress is easy to update and customize.The core WordPress files are free.Most of the plugins are free. And there are tons of WordPress themes available for free

Magento is very good but the corporate edition is far better but costs £££$$$!!!

but my choice is joomla . we can easily build a Which site u need its like as car selling shop, or products celling, anything... u can create it
but want to secure it. because some security holes have it

Wordpress might be fine for a CMS, but the discussion here is e-commerce. We're proceeding with a Magento solution for our next site.

hi,
there are some CMS for ecomerce but my preference is Magento..
Magento extensions and magento plugin can largely attract customers as they add a glint of exquisiteness to the overall feel and look of the online shopping store.Magento commerce is easy to install with additional layouts and magento plugin. Unlike other open source shopping carts magento does not require e-store owners to have prior programming experience. It is undoubtedly simplistic and powerful.

thanks.

Best E-commerce CMS are mentioned below.
(1) PrestaShop
(2) Open Cart
(3) Cube Cart
(4) DigiStore
(5) FlexCMS 3.2.1

I'd love to love Magento, but unfortunately I just spend soo much time fixing bugs that I ended up giving it up. BigCommerce was my saving grace.

I totally agree with you about Magento. Best CMS it is.

i love the CMS sites they have got plenty of features, useful plugins, seo friendly, easy to use and last but not the least free for all

IF you are running an ecommerce website, you should be aware of content management system to manage content on the website, blog etc.

Thanks

I prefer Magento and Yahoo Stores

Thanks for such nice post.

My vote is for wordpress+wp-commerce ( In built SEO features+hundreds of plugins+themes)

I always work on joomla because theme integration is very slow.

totally depends on the requirement of yours.Sometimes joomla got good results and some times other like megento,drupal,Cack,Wordpress etc.

Wordpress, Magento, Sugar CRM, zoomla are CMS based applicaiton

We are using for all of our projects Zend Framework - free and reliable (framework from Zend company, creator of the PHP language).

Best ecommerce CMS (based on ZF):
Magento (http://www.magentocommerce.com) - leading CMS, very powerful, but very slowly and heavy demands for servers
Digitalus CMS (http://digitaluscms.com) - not bad CMS
Cute CMS (http://cutecms.org/) - light and flexible ecommerce cms that can be adapted to a wide range of sites

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.