Hi

I've read different threads about building online communities and forums.
I've registered my site with DMoz, I've gone to related forums for tips but getting very little interest so far.

The concept I have is sound... I think :rolleyes:
The presentation is okay.

But still.... not a sausage :sad:

I use the Invision Power board for my forum ... Anyone know how to edit meta tags within it?

Just incase anyone here is interested - it's a website dedicated to creating a story with board members adding to the content. Not really something I can keep posting on my own to keep it alive :o

GlobalBook

cheers

GB

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hey, checked out your site, it's a neat idea, but I am wondering something. Why would you use a forum to do this? A Wiki would be a much more dynamic and interesting way to grow a story. It would be possible to have links from say character names to their bio and backstory, same for locations and events. You could practically build an entire universe.

Just a thought, but I like the idea.

Wally Lawless
www.power-coder.net

Just a suggestion: You could create some type of 'gateway' page, which was pumped full of meta tags instead of fiddling with IPB. This 'gateway' could automatically redirect to the forum after 1 second or something.

Hey, checked out your site, it's a neat idea, but I am wondering something. Why would you use a forum to do this? A Wiki would be a much more dynamic and interesting way to grow a story. It would be possible to have links from say character names to their bio and backstory, same for locations and events. You could practically build an entire universe.

Just a thought, but I like the idea.

Wally Lawless
www.power-coder.net

The forum would be the place to add content and discuss ideas. But that wiki idea looks like it could be an excellent place to develop characters in the story.

Not to hurt your feelings, but I don't see why anyone would want to contribute to this out of the blue.

The concept would make more sense if it was added on to - or in conjuction with - an existing forum. That way there would already be a group of people who share some interest and have some sense of each other. For instance, this would make sense if it were a story project attached to a forum for amateur writers, or a forum of people interested in WWII and were writing a war novel, or science fiction readers working on a s.f. story, or aspiring actors creating a Hollywood novel.

I think you have to have the group in place beforehand to really make it take off.

Not to hurt your feelings, but I don't see why anyone would want to contribute to this out of the blue.

The concept would make more sense if it was added on to - or in conjuction with - an existing forum. That way there would already be a group of people who share some interest and have some sense of each other. For instance, this would make sense if it were a story project attached to a forum for amateur writers, or a forum of people interested in WWII and were writing a war novel, or science fiction readers working on a s.f. story, or aspiring actors creating a Hollywood novel.

I think you have to have the group in place beforehand to really make it take off.

Don't worry, my feelings are not hurt :mad:

I have looked around different writer websites but generally writers are a very protective bunch. They seem to be focused on their own works and unwilling to work on anything but their own projects... maybe understandably.

When I suggested the idea I got the response from some of "Write your own book", which is missing the point.

The thing is the site/project isn't really aimed at people who are professional writers, it's aimed at people who'd like to contribute a small bit of creativity to a larger project.

GB

I think to get some more visitors you should put your site on a proper domain name not a freewebs domain. However it's a great idea and it is a nice looking site.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.