Hello

Im currently using Magento but everytime I run into any type of (even small) problem, there is basically no comunity to help out. Thats why Im looking to migrate to something (free as well) with a large and very active community.

What suggestions would you guys give?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Member Avatar for LastMitch

@riahc3

Im currently using Magento but everytime I run into any type of (even small) problem, there is basically no comunity to help out. Thats why Im looking to migrate to something (free as well) with a large and very active community.

I don't think any ecommence platform has a good community support. Magento has a good base. I used it but I don't really need a community support unless it has to deal with admin section being modify.

Consider going with WordPress and Jigoshop. Jigoshop is a free community developed/supported platform. Some themes and plugins are available for a price, but very affordable. I've done one project with it so far which is still under development, but close to completion. http://twosistersboutique.com/

Member Avatar for Everyauction

...something (free as well) with a large and very active community...<

sounds like one of those dreams, usually such combinations do not exist. If there are some, then not for long. Beeing a programmer, if one reaches a certain 'level' of knowledge, one would be a Dummie to just throw away 'sellable' brainwork for FREE to possible future Competitors.

Still, lot's of Webbers have developped great free Open Source Software during those Years. Some of it is still beeing upgraded, but the bigger Part is either not longer 'Free' or then, upgrading has stopped, because 'Key-Donators'(phrase explained below) to the Project have left the scene, for whatever reason.

after beeing around the web for long, my impression is:

Community Platforms are a great way of assisting each others, when it comes to customizing existing Software. At least, as long as everybody participates in 'both ways', donating and receiving knowledge. Most User-Forums i have seen, there where few Donators, but many Receivers, coming from nowhere, withoutany knowledge about Servers, Scripts, SQL or whatever, barely even HTML, now expecting assistance. Free and Fast, because, next week, they plan to surprise the world with a new Site. Many of them usually leave, after beeing helped, without leaving any trace, anywhere, any longer. To come back only with the next 'totally Newbie Problem'.

Open Source Software, generally spoken, started up, once beeing a one script source. They became popular to other programmers, and under the pressure to allow 'easy' addon-adoption, they where ripped a part, but they kept fundamental Standards, so possibly hampering, up to today, easy future upgrading without the need of actually rewriting key-routines - with the consequence of so risking acceptance by others, and so, eventually, the future of the whole Project.

I have tested a lot of software lately, seeking something to meet, or better, complete my next OpenSource EveryAuction 2.53 Perl Platform. Sample Sites are:
Click Here on my JTI.LI server
They may only function in part, I just wanted to see how they look and what they do, not if everything is installed...

Yabb is programmed well, Webapp is Multi Purpose, partly meant in some of my comments above. I could use some of it, but the HTML Source would have to be refreshed to a great extend to meet my expectations on writing HTML.

My personal Advise:

I would start up easy, build up on something you understand, at least, basically.
NoOne can build up a real business without knowledge. In case of emergency, one can be lost, as well as one's business, or one has to pay a pro price, for pro assistance, to keep the online business alive.

This the way, things go. In Business...

Ernie

Member Avatar for Everyauction

System Requirements:
- PHP
. safe_mode must be disabled
. allow_url_fopen must be enabled
. magic_quotes_sybase must be disabled.
. sql.safe_mode must be disabled
. ini_set function must not be disabled

No responsible Hoster would allow such Software to be installed on a Server, if most important Security Switches must be shut off just to make it work.
No wonder, Servers are been hacked in thousands day after day.

http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/512885

http://www.downloadplex.com/Scripts/PHP/Development/zeuscart-scripts_406969.html

http://securityvulns.com/Ydocument424.html

Ernie

Hi, i am Using Opencart as a E-Commerce Platform.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.