I have read somewhere that Google PR is solely based on the number of backlinks that your website has.

Is that true??

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

I think its not true. It is based on many other things as well like the domain age, quality contents, out going links. And the back links must be from the relavant site. Like if you have a clothing website then your links must come from clothing websites.

Domain age, content, relevancy of backlinks, etc. are all factors that contribute to how well a site ranks in the engines. Google toolbar pagerank is a direct demonstration of backlink count, discounting all other factors.

There are a number of things you need to look at if you want a good page rank but as cscgal says they are all factors

Google toolbar pagerank is a direct demonstration of backlink count, discounting all other factors.

I have read somewhere that Google PR is solely based on the number of backlinks that your website has.

Is that true??

Yes, Pagerank technically depends only on the number of backlinks taking into account those links' quality (like what is the PR of the page on which your link exists).

However, I would not really recommend that you lose your sleep over PR as it is basically useless.

I will agree with pulse.

Pagerank is about links, don't confuse this with the SERPs.

But I heared that in the latest pagerank update, there were some other factors added for the calculation, like frequency of updates. That make sense because there are many sites with pagerank 3 or higher that do not have one link back to them.

Don't confuse the PR value Google lets us see on the toolbar with Google's internal PR algorithm.

ha, and don't believe for a minute that page rank does not matter.

MANY advertisers use this as a measuring stick when advertising.

I had a guy email me the other day about advertising, and he said "Normally I only advertise with sites of PR 6 or higher..."

So it does matter, in many cases...

ha, and don't believe for a minute that page rank does not matter.

MANY advertisers use this as a measuring stick when advertising.

I had a guy email me the other day about advertising, and he said "Normally I only advertise with sites of PR 6 or higher..."

So it does matter, in many cases...

One-way RELEVANT links are by far the best way to increase a very important PR and search engine ranking. I can-not stress enough how important it is to get one-way links. It's not easy, but there are sites out there that will give them out free as long as you add some links to your homepage (how the sytems work).

PR is very very important no matter what anyone tells ya. Also, the higher your PR the more people will look favorably on your site. Anyway, PM me if you want some info on where to sign up for free one-way links. I dont want to spam the site. :)

Avalon

I definitely agree that one way targeted links are simply the best. This is especially true if you can get links within body content instead of in the footer or something.

I definitely agree that one way targeted links are simply the best. This is especially true if you can get links within body content instead of in the footer or something.

Very very true, though it's always difficult to get links coming to you in a "body" text in most cases. People are very stingent (sp?) on giving out homepage links and even more-so in the body of the website. :) Still, I've found even footer links to be most effective for me!

Avalon

One-way RELEVANT links are by far the best way to increase a very important PR and search engine ranking. I can-not stress enough how important it is to get one-way links. It's not easy, but there are sites out there that will give them out free as long as you add some links to your homepage (how the sytems work).

That sounds more like a "reciprocal link" than a "one-way".

Yes, "PageRank" is based on links pointing to a page.

That sounds more like a "reciprocal link" than a "one-way".

Yes, "PageRank" is based on links pointing to a page.

Actually, you are quite wrong. Reciprocal linking is where SiteA links to SiteB and SiteB links to SiteA. What I am talking about is where SiteA links to SiteB and SiteB links to SiteC and so forth and so on (no sites point to each other). That is one-way linking and is the most effective linking that can take place to increase PR.

Avalon

Actually, you are quite wrong. Reciprocal linking is where SiteA links to SiteB and SiteB links to SiteA. What I am talking about is where SiteA links to SiteB and SiteB links to SiteC and so forth and so on (no sites point to each other). That is one-way linking and is the most effective linking that can take place to increase PR.

Avalon

My misunderstanding. I was under the impression that the homepage link you mentioned was the reciprocal link. ;)

My misunderstanding. I was under the impression that the homepage link you mentioned was the reciprocal link. ;)

Hehe. :) No problem. Basically the idea was to create some system / network to get one-way links. I have a couple sites that do well, but manual link exchanges were killing me as far as time goes (and often not getting responses back). So... tried to come up with some way to get one-way links. Once I figured it out, it made sense to just put it out as a site for people to use. Free Links Direct isn't for everyone, but I really do see potential in it and think it will be a success! Time will tell, but so far got 3 times the sign up I've expected since opening the site two weeks ago!

What if you do a link exchange, and you do that type of a llink exchange where site A link to site B and site B links to site C.

My question is, for myself i am looking for educational backlinks, so I want to get places that can give me nice related links.

However, I wanted to place them on my other site, to get that one way link effect. The thing is the other site is not educational related.

Why would someone agree to it if there site is getting placed on an unrelated site?

Does that make sense? Would this type of linking hurt my other site?

PR can be gained with lots of tactics out there. But ethical ways always leads to long term success.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.