ok here it is, I'm about to pop the biggest question known to website owners.

What are the main promotion techniques? How can I get my site more well known?

Thanks in advance Slade.

Recommended Answers

All 23 Replies

Common promotion techniques include:
provide good, useful, unique, constantly updated content, and lots of it.
try to make every single visitor a satisfied visitor. even if they don't buy from you.
word of mouth. word of mouth. WORD OF MOUTH!
network with other website owners.
do link swaps with high PR sites.
do even more link swaps.
participate in lots of forums and advertise your site in your signature.
participate in webmaster promotion and seo forums such as this one.
be sure to get listed in Yahoo! and the DMOZ directory.
use static links that end in .htm or .html.
use mod_rewrite to "cover-up" your dynamic pages.
choose a few keywords you wish to target and use them a lot throughout your site.
use a very clear, intuitive, consistant navigation scheme.

I'll think of more stuff, don't worry ;)

mod_rewrite... how do I do that? Also, I am designing my site in asp .net, I notice on these forums you've used php, is it possible for me to make "Test.aspx" appear as "Test.Html" but still remain an aspx page? Or is that the function of mod_rewrite?

That is the function of mod_rewrite. For example, we use it here to replace the URL:
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/showthread.php?t=100
with
http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread100.html

There are soooo many other threads here with how to use mod_rewrite, so do a search. Unfortunately, I don't believe it works on Windows hosts, only Linux. However, I have heard there is a Windows alternative to mod_rewrite though I am not exactly sure what it is. So there might be luck for ya still.

lol cool. I read somewhere it can be done in asp .net so hopefully... anyways, I'm heading over to the asp forums to post my question on how to do it. Thanks for the help! If anyone has anymore suggestions please post thanks.

Slade

try to make every single visitor a satisfied visitor. even if they don't buy from you.
do even more link swaps.
choose a few keywords you wish to target and use them a lot throughout your site.

Great post cscgal , Ive been watching a lot of SEO tutorials and your right on the money..
"do link swaps with high PR sites" --- link with high PR sites that are relevant with what your sites content is..
Linking to anyone and everyone can do harm to your sites rank or relevantsy in google..so try to avoid the links that are off topic to your site Slade.
Please if I am wrong about this somebody slap me its only what I have been learning ...
And as we all learn I think it would be helpful if we keep posting more about this...

What happens if sites with PR0 linked to your site?
But I did not link to them..
Will the PR of my site be affected?
Please advice..
Thanks ;)

What happens if sites with PR0 linked to your site?
But I did not link to them..
Will the PR of my site be affected?
Please advice..
Thanks ;)

I think PR0 site will have no effect on your site, it will most likely to be neglected, but obviously if your all backlinks are from PR0, it will have bad effect to your PR.

It wont affect your PR as u are not linking to that site.

Speaking about the promotion techniques....cscgal has covered everything. I do suggest blogging, article submission which could enhance the traffic.

And above all else, have content that people will actually want to come and see.

Yes content is key to attract visitors and as well quality backlinks.

Also, do not overlook social bookmarking sites like del.icio.us and shadows. The search engines are aware of what gets bookmarked on these sites so, to cover all the bases, bookmark your sites here.

trading links is the best tech as dani has alreayd mentioned plus a lil bit of advertising here n there and posting in forums n stuff thats how u promote =)

Thanks for this information.
Thanks for all the kind words of support!

With millions of website competing 4 viewers how does one get the results they are looking for? There is a big difference in having a website and marketing on the internet.Having a website is great but it is useless if nobody knows about it. A website is of no good if the target marketing objectives aren't met with. Following are certain fundamental marketing strategies with respect to internet marketing.
(A)Defining ur online marketing objectives.
(B)Defining ur target market and developing ur website and online marketing strategy with them in mind.
(C)Developing the internet marketing strategy that is appropriate 4 ur service.
Things have changed dramatically over the past few years in terms of website design and developement methodology.Websites that are strong 2day basically are designed on (1) objectives of the organization (2)needs wants and xpectations of the target market (3)products and service that are being offered.
Without articulating the above objectives it is impossible 4 ur webdeveloper to market the website.Proper updating of the website is also very important.Generate a list of primary and secondary objectives thereby relating every element of the website with each other.Some of the most common primary objectives are
(1)Advertising ur products or service
(2)Selling ur products or service.
(3)Providing customer service and product support
(4)Providing corporate information
(5)Creating company identity or brand awareness/
Internet advertising has been a boon for global marketing.For amateurs who have just started out here's ur basic concept 2 successful advertising on net

;)

If the links that you place in forum are tagged as nofollow, I don't think this strategy would work.

It's never a good idea to advertise anywhere JUST for the backlink. Real traffic is much more important. Posting in relevant forums can make you a leader in your industry, give your site authority, generate word of mouth and viral advertising, and make both you and your site reputable.

This is the first step towards a viral marketing campaign where lots of other sites constantly link to you organically because you know what you're talking about and are an authority in your industry.

And above all else, have content that people will actually want to come and see.

I agree, it is not enough to just sell a product. I started with just a CD for sale and since have added free music for the cd, music history, then folk history, links to these, off subject links like other links of interest and still growing each day.
Now don't get me wrong. I am here to learn how to get more visitors myself.

do even more link swaps.

Very funny Dmoz is dead!

how come Dmoz is dead? I find that hard to believe

do even more link swaps.

YOU my dear have echoed my exact sentiments VERBATIM !
Good job

U raised the valid point but i don't know, PR will be effected or not.?

Just keep few simple things in mind while trying to increase traffic on your site:

1. Traffic will grow slowly and not overnight.
2. Dont forget to use means other than internet to promote your site. Like newspaper advertisement and radio advertisment.
3. Identify your target visitors and make marketing plan accordingly.
4. Use free resources as much as possible as they only demand your time and not your moeny.
5. Start taking help of your family and friend to spread word of mouth.
6. Start publishing success stories and testimonials of your satisfied customers.

And many more things...

To increase traffice use:

- PPC
- Forums
- Blogs
- Aritcles
- Link Sharing
- Back linking
- Get your site search engine optimized
- Submit to directories
- Submission to social bookmark websites (use Bookmark Submitter Pro)

I am quite sure that you will be able to increase traffic to your site.

net4nuts, good tips there man

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.