Can the database of a phpBB forum be transferred across to run under vBulletin, without losing memberlists, post history and so forth?

Recommended Answers

All 36 Replies

Yes. Members, threads, and posts can be transferred over. The site's style / templates obviously cannot. Last I checked, private messages and, unfortunately, member passwords, didn't transfer over, however. The vBulletin developers recently released new conversion software, however.

you can using phpmyadmin/

The actual conversion must happen via the vBulletin importer available at www.vbulletin.com in, I believe, the announcements forum. phpMyAdmin as well as good ol' SSH can be used to back up and restore the database in the future (due to server moves, regular "just-in-case" backups, etc.)

Hi there,

We currently offer a professional import/export system called vBulletin ImpEx which allows users to move from their forum software to vBulletin - it comes with a import script for phpBB. More details obviously on the vBulletin.com web site.

Thanks for the clarification Floris :)

Is it possible to convert extremephpbb to vbulletin. I have a community forum with lots of attachments and I have been told that the converter with vbulletin dosen't convert something such as the attachment hacks.

I would check vBulletin.org. I remember hearing somewhere that someone wrote an onofficial add-in for the phpBB->vBulletin converter to support attachments.

No, I doubt it works, the phpBB (Extreme phpBB) is a pre-modded phpBB forum. Therfore, I doubt it'll work because of the additional database changes and modification changes and such. I may be wrong, so dont take my work for it.....

In my opinion a move from phpBB to vBull is a downgrade. Unless you don't do any coding at all and need a gob of support. The release of phpBB 2.2 (if it ever happens) will change the future of bulletin boards.

Basically, I am waiting for phpBB 2.2 before purchasing the vBulletin. phpBB 2.2 they say is guarenteed to release before the end of the year.

I've been following the 2.2 dev since last year. I wouldn't count on this year however the CVS snapshots I've been testing are awesome. Too many cool features to mention, ones you simply don't see in other software. phpBB is driven by logic instead of money.

No I don't work for them in fact I won't post on the dev board any more because of the abrasiveness. But the software is exceptional.

What features are in phpbb 2.2 that are not in other BB's ?

and please define "logic driven"

I have a CVS Snapshot on my hosting server. Sadly to say, I havent had tikme to update it an my hosting account ran out I think.

Also, I heard a official phpBB Forum Coder make note that they are pushing to have it out in late December and trying to make it out before the New Years, although they are still not pushing to set a date.

phpBB 2.2 I know so far are these great new features:

Users Control Panel
Birthday, Gender Add-ons
Report Topics and Posts
Uploadable Photo (Not Confirmed)
Advanced Template
New Posting Add-ons
New Advanced Forums/Categories
New Search Functions
Password Protected Forums
*New Legend* Additions
And Much More

You'll have to download it at http://area51.phpbb.com and upload the CVS to your server and install it.

One big one I noticed is if two people are in the same forum posting and someone posts between the time you view and click submit, a message appears saying there have been new posts while you were composing and asks you if you want to review the topic again because of that.

They listened to their customers when designing the new software and sorted out the "whims" from real useful features implementing the most useful of features.

Yeah, thats another one. I would love to see the phpBB 2.2 have the phpBB Portal built in. In future releases ..... that is.

I have a CVS Snapshot on my hosting server. Sadly to say, I havent had tikme to update it an my hosting account ran out I think.

Also, I heard a official phpBB Forum Coder make note that they are pushing to have it out in late December and trying to make it out before the New Years, although they are still not pushing to set a date.

Users Control Panel
Birthday, Gender Add-ons
Report Topics and Posts
Advanced Template
New Posting Add-ons
New Search Functions
*New Legend* Additions
And Much More

You'll have to download it at http://area51.phpbb.com and upload the CVS to your server and install it.

You forgot sub forums and sub sub forums. I wouldn't run a CVS snapshot live, I test it at home....some of the code is still screwy being sub beta.

There are several people allready developing portals, I like the mutant portal the best so far man does that guy know php.

You forgot sub forums and sub sub forums. I wouldn't run a CVS snapshot live, I test it at home....some of the code is still screwy being sub beta.

There are several people allready developing portals, I like the mutant portal the best so far man does that guy know php.

New Advanced Forums/Categories is the sub forums and whatever else, so really I didnt forget it.

New Advanced Forums/Categories is the sub forums and whatever else, so really I didnt forget it.

Sorry! That was a friendly "you forgot" as to inform, not a nanny nanny boo boo. No offense meant honest.

Me an "old tech".

Users Control Panel
Birthday, Gender Add-ons
Report Topics and Posts
Advanced Template
New Posting Add-ons
New Search Functions
*New Legend* Additions
And Much More

Whoa, were at vBulletin 2, that only took 2 years :P

Most of thoughs features have been in vBulletin 2 since 2.0.0. which was.,.. 2001-2002, and vB3 kills that...

thats not all of it, sorry, but it has additional backend features. Not sure what else, but they say it will have a list of almost 250 new things added.

Yes but 250 things from a stock board that cant do much of anything may still not bring it up to vBulletins 2 features set...

Well, really, vBulletin is good, but there are people in the world with money like that to purchase a board like it.

Yes but 250 things from a stock board that cant do much of anything may still not bring it up to vBulletins 2 features set...

I have used both vbull and phpbb. I have been following the 2.2 development. I have hacked at code on both boards.

Vbull's code is bloated, redundant, intentionally confusing (my opinion there), and definitely not cross platform browser friendly. Try looking at vbull forums in opera.

There really is no argument here, it's not like democrat VS republican, it's black and white. phpBB is better, cleaner written software and 2.2 will be as good as it gets at any price.

'Eh, dont get too fast, I seen their theming folder lineup. Thats confusing somewhat.

Ok, i really want this crack you are smoking O.o.

vBulletin 3's code is bloated? How? Every little feature can be turned off, the board can function like a stock phpbb with LESS load.

Not Cross Browser Freindly? vBulletin 3's standard install works on, IE, Mozilla, Firefox, Opera, most KHTML Browsers including Safari, and even TEXT browsers like linx or linx2, and yes, this is from personal expirence, and ontop of that they look just fine too.

Now talking about vBulletin 2's coding, sure i would be somewhat more included to agree with you as most of the coding is done java styled which is very confusing, but NOT, NOT NOT vBulletin3's/

I still like phpBB in my opinion, thgats yours Zach.

I think phpbb has its place and I am not putting it down as a forum choice, I just don't like to see false statments be putout like the code is bloated. vBulletin 3 is far less bloated than what of vbulletin 2 is

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.