ok here is my smg just tell me what you think this is just a crude model i still have to put textures on it using something like photoshop or fireworks. [IMG]http://willpull22.remnetworks.com:2082/frontend/x/files/showfile.html?dir=/home/willpull/www&file=mysmg.png[/IMG]

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

yeah sorry i just posted a link from when i was viewing it in my filemanager.

its an alright model for a beginer, but its in need of alot of work. i used to model in 3d...a whole lot. but i just got bored with it. anyways. i would recomend boxmodelling, and trying to make it all one single object except for moving parts (clip, arm rest. dun worry bout trigger, unless you plan on animating it. also the firing mode switch)

Thanks K_t, hey im just curious do you have a modeling program that you think is the best to use. Right now i am using maya 6 unlimited. Its ok it took me not much time to figure out how to do fairly simple modeling and animation. I tried 3ds max but i didnt like the setup.

Thanks K_t, hey im just curious do you have a modeling program that you think is the best to use. Right now i am using maya 6 unlimited. Its ok it took me not much time to figure out how to do fairly simple modeling and animation. I tried 3ds max but i didnt like the setup.

boy do i sure have one for you :-D

its called anim8or. its a tiny tiny program, and considered one of the most powerful for its size and the fact that its freee.

http://www.anim8or.com its got considerable one of the best user communities out there. ask and ye shall recieve. i used to model with that program. its got a very very easy design layout, and any questions you may have, i can probably answer because of how well i used to be with the program.

That seems a little more complicated compared to alias wavefront's maya unlimited. It may cost money but (bittorrent hint hint) it was used on things like the lord of the rings, and some video games.

That seems a little more complicated compared to alias wavefront's maya unlimited. It may cost money but (bittorrent hint hint) it was used on things like the lord of the rings, and some video games.

its actually a vary simple easy to use program.

sori to change subject but im also a maya 6 unlimited user and i think its the best program for cg but im absolutly crap and i need a tutorial or a website with a demonstration on please can sum1 help me?

For the Alias-Wavefront Maya Software, you need to know a TON of Calculus; mostly for creating animations like what was done in Toy Story (1&2), LOTR, etc.

The gun design itsself is O.K. but I agree, it does need work. But the extent of which all depends on what you want to use it for.

if you want a good website to teach you maya try digital-tutors.com the can teach you the basics and you could buy their training kits if you really want to learn stuff. their tutorials are all quicktime video format.

boy do i sure have one for you :-D

its called anim8or. its a tiny tiny program, and considered one of the most powerful for its size and the fact that its freee.

http://www.anim8or.com its got considerable one of the best user communities out there. ask and ye shall recieve. i used to model with that program. its got a very very easy design layout, and any questions you may have, i can probably answer because of how well i used to be with the program.

what about pov-ray? it's free, has a great user community & evidently produces great images - although i believe the learning curve is a bit steep.

(note: my 3D imaging experience is relegated to running through a few "Simply-3D" tutorials, so saying that i'm NOT an expert is quite a bit of an understatement. just posting an observation of my own.)

Discreet (Autodesk) have a free modelling tool called GMax you can download from their website (and is also distributed by many games these days).
Aimed squarely at computer game users and manufacturers to create objects for a 3D gaming environment it's highly powerful and relatively easy to use.

Not sure if you can easily export the models to other formats, if not you could just export them to your favourite game (check the game for instructions, it usually comes with the tools) and use that as a rendering engine.

As to povray, it's a nice tool. Didn't know it still was being updated, not used it in years.

what about pov-ray? it's free, has a great user community & evidently produces great images - although i believe the learning curve is a bit steep.

(note: my 3D imaging experience is relegated to running through a few "Simply-3D" tutorials, so saying that i'm NOT an expert is quite a bit of an understatement. just posting an observation of my own.)

it's been a while since i have looked at pov-ray but i believe it is a powerful rendering engine with only a very simple modeling interface.

it is entirely scripting based too (or at least last time i checked...several years ago :P)

needless to say though if you can become very well with it you can create some very powerful renderings.

look into a piece of software called rhino3d last i remember it was pretty damn cheap and extremely powerful.

it works using NURBS (heheh thats one of the first websites i ever built right there). and has a rendering engine that can produce some sexy images.

its expensive to buy, but if you can prove you or someone you know is a student or teacher and then have the student/teacher buy its only 195...which is a steal for what it is. btw it also has a free trial.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.