hi everyone,

my job is to administer a few websites for a fortune 500 company - i'm responsible for their web presence across about 100 countries. we currenty have a set of web standards in place which are about 3 years old. i personally feel that 3 years is pre-stone age. can any one of you help me identify the most important web usability guidelines. i know that the best of the web congregates around daniweb and i am sure that your advice will be very helpful. thank you for your help in advance.

~manish

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

just post old standards it will help us to find out new one instead of reinventing the wheel...

Usability standards or technical standards? For technical standards at the client end; just look at up the latest W3C recommendation for XHTML and CSS, and then step back ( at least ) one version to be sure of compatibility on current / popular / most browsers. If it's technical standards at the server, you're king there - pick whatever standard ( or no standard atall ) that works best. Personally, I think XML + XSLT + compiled applications are the way forward at the server.

As for usability standards.. avoid dependance on plugins, avoid really over-the-top graphic and structure intensive pages, follow W3C and WAI guidelines, ignore hype: and you can't go far wrong.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.