Hey guys. I recently installed some software tools to make Flash on Linux. There are several open source softwares that can create Flash, most of them from source codes or converting files to .swf format. I've decided to try SWFTools.

But despite the many many years I have hung out at websites like Newgrounds and AlbinoBlackSheep, I have never composed a single Flash file or ActionScript.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good Tutorial website that can show me the ropes as to how to create Flash. Please note, that most Flash composing programs for Linux do not have the luxtury of the Flash IDE, therefore a tutorial site that emphasizes using a text editor would be extremely helpful.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

tutorial site that emphasizes using a text editor would be extremely helpful.

Man where have you been leaving for last 10 years??? Purpose of flash was to provide multimedia output that can interact with user. Sort of combination on image maps and animations in gif or video formats. I had look at the link you provider, the tool sound more like convertor then IDE to create something, however it has some additional features or some of the project could not be done by simeple conversion. In my opinion you picked wrong tool and should search for something else...

the tool sound more like convertor then IDE to create something, however it has some additional features or some of the project could not be done by simeple conversion. In my opinion you picked wrong tool and should search for something else...

They ARE converter tools. I had stated that there is NO IDE for making Flash on Linux (yet).

I was not looking for an IDE.

The idea behind the converter tools is suppost to be identical to compiling a C++ program without an IDE, only instead of creating executable programs the output file should be a flash file or a module that will be combined with other modules to create a flash file.

I disagree with your opinion and I am certain that anyone at OSFlash.org would also disagree.

Your original post sounded to me as you want to use above tool for creating swf from scratch, which I pointed as inposible because that tool is convertor.
Secondly you ask for "a tutorial site that emphasizes using a text editor". I never come across of such site and I do not think any of multimedia people. There maybe exists a way to do flash with text editor but time cost would be extraordinary high and nobody in they right mind would pay for that amount of hours.
Flash is not only about putting few images/pages together and making fancy slideshow, it is a way to present your self/company and what you do/sell in interactive way of communication with the visitor

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.