Hi,

I have had a website for a couple of years now and originally designed it to be viewed on palm tops up. However, some viewers have commented that it looks too narrow, so I have widened the pages. It looks OK in both firefox and IE but when I view on different computers there seems to be distortion of pages. This particular page is a good example as it contains a lot of photos http://www.transylvania4x4tours.com/html/your_own_tour.html

Can anyone advise me as this is driving me mad.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I don't really know what the problem is. If it is ok in both firefox & IE, what is it not ok in? What does distortion of pages mean?

I viewed the page in firefox, ie, and chrome and didn't see any issues with the page.

I don't really know what the problem is. If it is ok in both firefox & IE, what is it not ok in? What does distortion of pages mean?

I viewed the page in firefox, ie, and chrome and didn't see any issues with the page.

Thanks for your reply. I decided to return the pages to 800 pixel width as I couldn't resolve the problem. OK, pages were OK on both IE and Firefox. However, when viewed on different terminals the pages were often distorted with photos and text in different positions on page. The settings were on regular settings for all browsers so I am not sure if this was caused by text size setting on each computer? Anyway, as it is my business website I cannot really experiment with it too much.

Regards,

Paul

This is a common problem with web pages. Different computer screens have different resolutions.

One trick is to place things in such a way that the space between them expands with a larger screen.

You can place the files in a folder on your hard disk, and play with it offline. That's how I develop. Point the browser at the file to be tested.

If you "optimize" your site for a particular Browser, this really means it is "optimized" for a particular Browser with a particular setup.

I'd leave it alone...Good Luck!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.