Ok first off, sorry if this is the wrong forum...

I want to learn how to create a community based site - preferably completely from scratch.

I want to do this, because I find it quite hard to look at existing code and understand the ins and outs of it.

I am aware of packages like mambo, phpnuke and xoops, in fact I think very highly of xoops, but I want to know how to create something along them sort of lines from scratch.

can anyone point me in a good direction?

Ultimately I want a site that has a forum, PM facility, maybe a gallery, news feature, and the ability to create HTML articles.

To be honest the content at this point does not matter to me, I will make my content choices later - I believe very strongly that a good design can be modified to fit any content.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some good 'how-to' (s) etc.

thanks

SE

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

what programming languages do you know? Are you good with database stuff?

Ok, just to add something, looking around, I think I am going to be happy to use a free forum, as most of them are pretty outstanding, so I guess I want to just build a CMS from scratch if possible...

I have a feeling this will be a lot of work, but, to be honest I think I am ok with that...

Programming languages.

Had to use a few, but nothing too serious, databases don't bother me at all.
I would prefer to use php.

I'm not too bothered about undertaking the project or parts of it using CGI, definately DONT want to go any where near ASP - personal preference

SE

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.