Hi there, I am doing a site redesign and it shows up without any errors in Firefox, Opera, Safari, Chrome, but in IE for Windows, I get a little "yield sign" in the bottom left hand corner. It says that there's an error on line 16, but there's nothing on that line in the code in the template page. Can someone please check this out and let me know what I'm doing wrong in IE? Could it be the javascript? Thanks!

http://www.asanet.org/footnotes/jan10/index.html

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

That usually occurs when IE has issues with the page javascript. In the page source code I see two main blocks of JS, one in the header, and another linked to an external file. Remove the big block in the header, then run the page again. If the error is no longer there, then you know it's the big block in the header. From there you can start to decipher the offending JS line/s of code. You could also try it the other way around, leave the big block of code in the header, and remove the link to the external. Let's hope that only one creates the error and not both cases.

That usually occurs when IE has issues with the page javascript. In the page source code I see two main blocks of JS, one in the header, and another linked to an external file. Remove the big block in the header, then run the page again. If the error is no longer there, then you know it's the big block in the header. From there you can start to decipher the offending JS line/s of code. You could also try it the other way around, leave the big block of code in the header, and remove the link to the external. Let's hope that only one creates the error and not both cases.

Thanks for the input, I deleted the javascript in the header and copied ti to the mm_menu.js file, and I still get the "Done with Errors" notification, this is what it says when I click on it:

Line: 16
Char: 1
Error: Object required
Code: 0
URL: http://www.footnotes.asanet.org/footnotes/jan10/index.html

This has been consistent, and so far the only thing on line 16 is the closing </head> tag so I'm not sure what it's referring to. Could it be line 16 in the javascript???

Thanks!

I think you mis-understood. It's not a problem that the code existed between the head tags, what I was saying was to remove the code and test the page without the code. Once there were no more errors, you know that the block of code was creating the issue, then from there you can go through line by line within the block of code to find the JS piece that was creating the issue.

If the errors still existed, then you put back your code within the header, then remove <script language="JavaScript" src="mm_menu.js" type="text/javascript"></script> to the menus. Yes, I the menus will not work temporarily, but you are trying to find out which set of code is causing the problem.

I think you mis-understood. It's not a problem that the code existed between the head tags, what I was saying was to remove the code and test the page without the code. Once there were no more errors, you know that the block of code was creating the issue, then from there you can go through line by line within the block of code to find the JS piece that was creating the issue.

If the errors still existed, then you put back your code within the header, then remove <script language="JavaScript" src="mm_menu.js" type="text/javascript"></script> to the menus. Yes, I the menus will not work temporarily, but you are trying to find out which set of code is causing the problem.

It was the mm_menu.js Link that caused it... Thanks! YOU ROCK!!!!!

Hi,

Just to let you know so that code is good you also have a number of other errors in your code:

Line 10: link tag type should read "image/png" not "image.png"
Line 54: The default scripting language hasn't been specified for the onclick event. Put this line of code in your in the head section.

<meta http-equiv="Content-Script-Type" content="text/JavaScript" />

Line 169 and 170: input tags should have matching end tags as in:

<input .. .. />

Line 169 and 170: The type and name attributes inside your input tags should be wrapped in quotes "..."

Cheers

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.