Hi,

I made uploaded 1 set of website sites to different domains (and server) using filezilla. The code is all manually typed using Notepad++.

Now, one site jttech.com.hk show the chinese text, but the other sandbox.desk.vuox.com shows ????????

see http://sandbox.desk.vuox.com/index.php and http://jttech.com.hk/ top right corner, the language selector.

Anyone knows why? This is freaking frustrating!

Thanks for your help.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Member Avatar for diafol

Can't see any chinese on jttech.com.hk.

Have you used the correct language metas?

Even when you choose ?? (lang option) on the sandbox, the pages are still in English. I switched encoding on my browser to Chinese, but no change.

Ensure that you have saved as UTF-8 format in Notepad++. I think the default is ANSI. This is *probably* your problem.

Thanks ardav,

I just removed the language selector from jttech.com.hk that's why you did not see it. Because it was a live website, I later thought could not just leave it half done and so I removed it.

The problem remains -- I set UTF-8 encondiing on Notepad++ already...

On sandbox.desk.vuox.com if you click ?? on the language, it will show the chinese version. The chinese text is in ??????????????????.
The rest are still in english.

I also notice that if I start with an ANSI file > convert it to UTF-8 > append the same chunk of existing html to the same file by manual typing in (not copy + paste), the two chunk of idenitcal code will appear different in the brower. I will investigate this further...

In the meantime, other the UTF-8 encoding, is there any other possibility?

I have solved the problem myself.

The reason is because there is another flavour of UTF-8 encoding which includes BOM (whatever that is) which adds extra byte information which will confuse the web browser and cause layout/display/text problems.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.