Hello,

I'm a new user, but a long time reader (sounds like I'm on a radio show lol) and I just have a question regarding the "page shift problem". For those of you who are not familiar with what the page shift is, it's basically only happens with "centered" templates.

It's when your page is shifted to the left just a couple of pixels because of the vertical scrollbar that is added when there is a lot of content on the page. When there's not a lot of content (and the vertical scrollbar is not needed) then the page looks normal.

However, once a visitor gets browsing some pages will have a lot of content, some will not. So the whole site will sometimes shift to the left just a little bit, and then other times it will not.

Is there a proper fix for this? The guy I hired to do my web design is saying he is just going to make it so the vertical scrollbar always shows up, regardless if there is a little content or a lot of content (which would require the scrollbar). It seems like he is taking the easy way out. Is there some proper way to do this?

Maybe a better way instead of just adding a vertical scrollbar to every page?

Your input is appreciated! :)

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hi, and welcome to Daniweb.

Personally, when I open a webpage with a scroll bar in the content, I close it without reading it. It is, to me, so retro! But, that is my personal taste and others may not be bothered by it.

I guess, what I am saying, is that I will not use a scroll bar in the content of my site at all, I will rather display a "read more" link, to the next page of the content if the content is too large for a desinated area on the page.

Can you give me a link to your site, or its code?

Try this

html, body {
	height: 100%;
	min-height: 101%;
	overflow: visible;
}

The scrollbar will always show no matter how much content the page has.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.