I am working on a webpage for our car club and a column by a member that would normally have gone in our printed newsletter now needs to be on this website. It's done in Word, in 2 and 3 columns and contains graphics. I've been trying to figure out how to put it on the website, saving it as a web page ruins the formatting on it, some of the graphics are missing, some of the boxes are moved around, some text overlaps other text. How do I do this?

Thanks
Funkynassau the confused

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Saving a Word document as a web page is a no-no. It adds so much unnecessary HTML and other bloat that makes it unmanageable. I recommend you recreate the page from scratch by hand or use Dreamweaver or even FrontPage. The HTML code that Word generates is a train wreck and it's not standard.

Alternatively provide it as a download on your site so that when opened it opens in the browser window.

Thanks for your reply. The author of the article re-did it for me in plain text and I added the tags and away we went. It's not as fancy looking as the original that we put in our newsletter, but in reality it didnt need to be.

I have Arachnophilia, a freebie, but not Dreamweaver or Front Page. Are there any freebies that are particularly good? I dont need to do clever stuff very often, but this time it would have been handy to know how!

Thanks
Funkynassau

DreamWeaver has a free trial, but if you're going to be working with web pages I recommend you learn to code the old fashioned way, via text editor like Notepad or something of the like. ALSO, if you sign up for the Microsoft Beta of the Microsoft Visual .NET studio, that works like a dream too. :) *until last week had forgotten he had 2002 dev edition, and lovin it*

Thanks for your reply. The author of the article re-did it for me in plain text and I added the tags and away we went. It's not as fancy looking as the original that we put in our newsletter, but in reality it didnt need to be.

I have Arachnophilia, a freebie, but not Dreamweaver or Front Page. Are there any freebies that are particularly good? I dont need to do clever stuff very often, but this time it would have been handy to know how!

Thanks
Funkynassau

I suggest you learn to work with the basic tags first. For this you can use Notepad. Once you know what the basic tags do, and know what it takes to create a simple web page, move to an editor. It saves so much time as your web pages get more complex. Here are some free editors:

http://www.evrsoft.com/1stpage2.shtml
http://www.chami.com/html-kit/

You can just search download.com/google.com for "web editor", "html editor", "html gui", "html ide"

I've only tried a few free ones, but none compare to Dreamweaver or GoLive.

Alternatively provide it as a download on your site so that when opened it opens in the browser window.

This interests me...I have to develop a form which can be used on a website too. How do I provide it as a download on the site as you have suggested above. Please remember that I need lots of guidance and give simple instructions!

This interests me...I have to develop a form which can be used on a website too. How do I provide it as a download on the site as you have suggested above. Please remember that I need lots of guidance and give simple instructions!

If you just want the document for download, upload the document to your web server, and create a hyperlink to it. Make instructions to "right click and save as..."

Thanks! I have often wondered how that was done...and it is so easy!! I learn something every day!

A word document saved as .html page results in a 500kb file.
Make this in any other html editor and the page results in a 100kb file.
It is amazing how many useless and none-working code is inserted to try and emulate the design.

Create a template and include the txt as a ServerSideInclude file.txt and have your stylesheet.css mark it up. And offer the .doc as alternative for download.

That would be the quickest way for a non-dynamic site to include text from third parties.

Member Avatar for TKSS

I like htmlkit 1.0

Much more functionality than arachnophilia. Try http://download.com.com/3000-2048-4687625.html?tag=lst-3-1

the page for the product is: http://www.chami.com/html-kit/

Hope this tool works as well for you as it did for me. Of course, I use dreamweaver now along with fireworks, swishmax, go live, photoshop, photoshop elements, and frontpage for quick fixes. But htmlkit will get you going in the right direction and the price is just right! :cheesy:

I just dowloaded html kit and it looks really good. The only problem (and I know this sounds stupid!) is how on earth do I start the program? It didnt put an icon on my desktop and a look around in windows explorer didnt clue me into what to click to get it going! I feel dumb asking this as it ought not to be difficult!

Thanks
Funkynassau

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.