<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
    <table style = "width : 500px; border : 1px solid black;">
    <tr>
    <td style = "height : 100%; border : 1px solid;">
    1st TD

</td>
    <td rowspan = 2 style = "border : 1px solid;">

</td>
    <td rowspan = 2 style = "border : 1px solid;  height : 100%; vertical-align : top;">
    Sidebar
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Sidebar
    <br />
    fdkdf
    <br />
    dfkdf
    fdkdf
    <br />
    dfkdffdkdf
    <br />
    dfkdf
    fdkdf
    <br />
    dfkdf
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr >
    <td style = " border : 1px solid;">
    Last TD
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>

See my code in Firefox and IE. I want the looks of FF where the 1st TD expand as the text grows and Last TD occupies the remaining height of whole table.
How can I accomplish this.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
    <table style = "width : 500px; border : 1px solid black;">
    <tr>
    <td style = "height : 100%; border : 1px solid;">
    1st TD

</td>
    <td rowspan = 2 style = "border : 1px solid;">

</td>
    <td rowspan = 2 style = "border : 1px solid;  height : 100%; vertical-align : top;">
    Sidebar
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Sidebar
    <br />
    fdkdf
    <br />
    dfkdf
    fdkdf
    <br />
    dfkdffdkdf
    <br />
    dfkdf
    fdkdf
    <br />
    dfkdf
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr >
    <td style = " border : 1px solid;">
    Last TD
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>

See my code in Firefox and IE. I want the looks of FF where the 1st TD expand as the text grows and Last TD occupies the remaining height of whole table.
How can I accomplish this.

If you don't want to put your data in tabular form then you can use div element in css
which give you similar structure of table

If that's your complete document structure code, its not very well formed. It's missing the <html></html>, <head><titiel></title></head>, and <body></body> sections.

And also as torbatt suggested, tables for layouts are bad practice. Read why here.

If that's your complete document structure code, its not very well formed. It's missing the <html></html>, <head><titiel></title></head>, and <body></body> sections.

And also as torbatt suggested, tables for layouts are bad practice. Read why here.

Ya i know That buddy
that i recommend div element

Click to Expand / Collapse Quote originally posted by teedoff ...
Ya i know That buddy
that i recommend div element

???
I was referring to the OP's code. Not sure what you're talking about. Regardless of using divs or tables, a proper page structure is crutial.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.