Hi, I have a very simple question but one which creates a lot of bother!!
In Notepad (and even notepad++) when I open an html file and after editing try to save it, it says..'the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process' and follows up with a 'SAVE AS' box. This happens even though the html file is not open in any browser!

Any solutions or tricks are welcome!

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

This happened to me before you must save all other programs where your page is being stored, like my documents, a browser ect...

If you use Windows, you don’t need to buy or download an editor in order to write HTML. You have a perfectly functional editor built into your operating system — Notepad.With Notepad, you can write complex or simple HTML and once you have learned the language, you can edit pages as quickly as someone with an expensive HTML editor.

I think you might have a virus and I recomand if you are a windows user to try hitman pro

the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

This simply refers to the fact that there is another process that is in control of the file. If you are just using notepad and a browser to display the results, this should not happen. Have you tried to restart your computer?

Hi, I have a very simple question but one which creates a lot of bother!!
In Notepad (and even notepad++) when I open an html file and after editing try to save it, it says..'the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process' and follows up with a 'SAVE AS' box. This happens even though the html file is not open in any browser! Any solutions or tricks are welcome!

you are invoking the page you are editing from the file explorer
deselect it before trying to save your changes.

Thank you Troy III that was driving me crazy- the correct solution is "you are invoking the page you are editing from the file explorer
deselect it before trying to save your changes."

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.