Hello all,

I'm looking for some help. What I want to do is quite simple only I don't have the knowledge or expertise in web development. I need a web page with a text field, which when submitted parses and saves the information to a table to be viewed. That is pretty much it to be honest. I was thinking it can be done with just a 2 page site. 1 to post the data and 1 to display the table. A filter/sort option would be a bonus for the table or even just a search box would do.

The data to be pasted into the text field follows the same format mostly. I've put the text I need in the table in bold. It is always either "is in the" or "is at" before the location I need in the table, the location does change though. Everything not in Bold is text I don't need in the table.

Example data:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I found John Doe for you.
Sent: 2012.07.15 01:55

I've found your scumsucker.

She is in the Boranai system, Throne Worlds constellation of the Domain region.
OR It's like this
He is at Amarr VIII (Oris) - Emperor Family Academy station in the Amarr system, Throne Worlds constellation of Domain region.

With regards,

Koyara Uemintoh

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In terms of security I don't need a username/password system. Just a password would do it. If anyone can help me out I would be eternally greatful.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

If you don't have any experience, it's going to be challenging for you. There are various components to get this working.

You need a web server, access to a database. A few HTML pages, and some server side scripting.

Do you have anything code done?

I have a host, with a database (MySQL, web server also supports PHP.) At the moment I have 0 code. I haven't done web developement for almost 12 years.

I'm assuming it's just a simple text field with a submit button on 1 page that sends it to a PHP script/page to be parsed/saved/displayed

I found John Doe for you.
Sent: 2012.07.15 01:55

I've found your scumsucker.

She is in the Boranai system, Throne Worlds constellation of the Domain region.
OR It's like this
He is at Amarr VIII (Oris) - Emperor Family Academy station in the Amarr system, Throne Worlds constellation of Domain region.

With regards,

Koyara Uemintoh

Is this meant to be static info displayed on your website or are you getting data from a database?

Hi,

The data follows the same format. The message is copied and pasted from a mail generated elsewhere.

If the parsing of the message to too complex I can just get the users to paste only the data tht is required.

All I require is:

Data and Time
Name
I only require those 3 headings in the table

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.