So, i am going to be using a php framework to create a blog and i am curious to know what you guys think is the best framework.

I, so far, am most satisfied with codeigniter (mostly) and zend.

What do you guys think is the best and tell me why.

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

I've never used a framework before but I hear codeigniter is really nice, and zend is almost always overkill, that's just what I've heard.

I have also heard that zend is also much more complex. It is like comparing Wordpress to Drupal.

i have not used any of them but as per what i can read from there wiki page

CodeIgniter is loosely based on the popular Model-View-Controller development pattern. While view and controller classes are a necessary part of development under CodeIgniter, models are optional.[3]

It is advicable to separate your presentation layer,data layer and business layer.So Codeigniter is implementing that and so it will be much efficient way to program.

I have been messing around with Laravel and I really like it. Some very big PHP heads are backing it as well. http://laravel.com

I am going to look into laravel, it looks interesting... like they say on the site, "All the cool kids are using it".

Yes I've seen some very lightweiht and powerful software that runs on laravel, that would be a good choice.

Agree. When you get the hang of Laravel, you can always consider stepping up to Zend or Symfony. Don't drive a truck if you can't ride a bike.

Anyone have any thoughts/opinions about CakePHP?

I have heard of that one, don't have much knowledge about it though.

I've heard that CakePHP is overkill and extremely slow, depends what you're working on though. (Friend used it)

Very happy with CodeIgniter 2+
May attempt to learn Laravel 4 some time in the future.

Very happy with CodeIgniter 2+

I am so far happy with what I am seeing with code igniter, I haven't used it yet because I getting my phpmyadmin/xampp/etc. fully set up so i can use it.

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, but since we're on topic just wanted to ask if CI is good for stuff other than blogging. Can you build a CMS and handle PayPal transactions with it easily?

CI and other frameworks help you organise your PHP code.

People have built blog applications and CMS's using PHP, and some have probably used CI as a means to keep their code logically arranged (didn't want to use organise twice ;-) ).

I have created a PayPal class on a non-CI site and expect to easily incorporate the code into future CI sites.

DaniWeb was coded using CodeIgniter. I really like the flexibility, how lightweight it is, and the fact that I don't feel weighed down with tons of bloat because we actually do use a significant portion of the built-in functions.

commented: :) +7

DaniWeb was coded using CodeIgniter. I really like the flexibility, how lightweight it is, and the fact that I don't feel weighed down with tons of bloat because we actually do use a significant portion of the built-in functions.

Guess i am using codeigniter then :)

I think Zend is one of the best php framework.

I think Zend is one of the best php framework.

I have heard.

You should have to try Zendfox Framework, simple architecture & easy to use.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.