Hi all,

i m developing a web portal whcih can be accesed over intranet.i need to inbuild a feature that the webpage will take authentication frm windows login.
eg. i log to the terminal server adn opens the link ,the webpage should be able to authenticate the windows login and proceed further.

in this only i also want to show an excel sheet within the webpage .how can i do this task .

Please help me out in this .

Thanks in advacne
Mukul

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

i m developing a web portal whcih can be accesed over intranet.i need to inbuild a feature that the webpage will take authentication frm windows login.

Asuming a windows network.... The easiest way to do this is to run your website on IIS, disable anonymous authentication, enable Windows authentication.

If you web site is running ASP or ASP.NET, you can easily capture the user's username via Request.ServerVariables.

VB: Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER")
C#: Request.ServerVariables["LOGON_USER"]

If not, you can use Forms Based Authentication (ASP.NET), or build your own authentication system.

What server side scripting language are you running on your site, or planning to run?

If it is just a matter of access control, changing the IIS settings for the website will suffice, and you shouldn't need to make any changes to the actual site. If you want to be able to identify the actual user and do something with that information on the website it self like custom options etc, then you can do something like JorgeM suggested.

Hi Pixelsoul and JorgeM,

Thanks for teh reply .
i have developed the site with simple HTML and CSS.and planning to host it from a server say server A.and what i exactly need to build is ,we have a terminal server where some users have login credentials .i need that those credentials can be used in my site for authentication ,i'e users having access on terminal server can only login to the site with there credentials.
is it possible in any way ,
if yes then please help me out .

Yhanks
Mukul

Not possible with HTML alone if you want to identify the user within your web application.

If you simply want to make sure that authenticated users can access the app, you can do so by running your site on IIS and enabling Windows Authentication.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.