Hi there,

Just wanted to know from Daniweb expert! Which is more useful and suitable on home page? Rotating slider or static banner.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

I don't think there is a correct answer. It all depends on the purpose if your page, content, etc..

If you have content in images and showing them fulfills some purpouse then slider will be a best option.If just a text content is what fulfills the purpouse then static banner will be a best option.
If both then using both and showing content along with images using slider will be the best option.

As both prior posters, the intent of the page determines the best use of resources
If there is one thing, keep the landing page very small and fast, users wait about 8 seconds before they leave
If the time taken to load the images impacts on the rest of the display, can it
If you use a slider that will display 1 image during load, then background load the other content after the page is displayed all good

This is just a simple responsive website ( that prpvides web design, development & digital marketing services). In home page, I want to display banner wherein I can show some interesting facts, case studies, our USP etc..

Just wanted to know from Daniweb expert! Which is more useful and suitable on home page? Rotating slider or static banner.

The most useful thing on your page is the information a client came in for to be immediately reachable, highly accessible, prominently visible, very intelligible.

Meaning Neither.
Banners are the least and the last thing that your client will or will not appreciate on your page; my page; any page.

Member Avatar for diafol

I agree with troy. I find carousels and sliders extremely annoying. Wait for something interesting to slide into view? No time, bye.

Shame really as they do have their place, but as they have been in the hands of idiots, they have become synonymous with bad design and woeful content. I avoid them all. Give me contant I can absorb without working too hard. Those neverending scrolling one page wonders are the next thing people are crucifying. Why not try a carousel on a one-page ad nauseum site? That will certainly make me puke.

Yes, i agree with all of the above about the fact that your slider/banner varies on what site/service you have. But i do have to add that your content on the slider/banner should not be bland. They should be at least a bit more interactive than the traditional slider. You want your user to be interested in what you are presenting. Interactivity is a key feature now, and that should not be ignored. Also, you don't have to follow the traditional style of making websites, try to be creative, sometimes that path is better. For some inspiration, go to https://behance.net/ or http://www.awwwards.com/

Shame really as they do have their place, but as they have been in the hands of idiots, they have become synonymous with bad design and woeful content

Yep, its why all my sites i work on are aware of such critique ;)

Give me contant I can absorb without working too hard. Those neverending scrolling one page wonders are the next thing people are crucifying.

Haha, sadly, that can be true sometimes. Though, with the right designers/developers/programmers/whomever works on it, it can be pretty awesome at times.

That will certainly make me puke.

Then you may really like this one :P: http://www.worldslongestwebsite.com/

The problem is that people dont reach pages to be getting some awesomness unless the awesomnes is a part of your page >>content<< not the design.

A good rotator is the one that makes it easy for you to have an immediate overview of your service or information contained in that domain allowing you a hyper-jump to the section site service or info you are really interested in.

Anyway, I came to tell you that from trying to visit https://behance.net I get:

Your connection is not private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from behance.net (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).

This server could not prove that it is behance.net; its security certificate is from *.behance.net. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection.

commented: Good points +15
commented: way too many go for form, without function, goodonya +13
Member Avatar for diafol

I hope I wasn't poo-pooing these widgets / designs too much. I was referring to their use by the half-arsed out there. In the hands of somebody who knows what they're doing and has UX/UI as well as a good overview of what "good content" means, then they can be extremely effective. But as I mentioned, good examples are quite hard to find amidst all the noise of the public web. Frontends like Twitter Boostrap gives the amateur designer the tools with which to build a great interactive experience, but no more. It's like being given a hammer, some nails and planks of wood and then trying to build a shed for the first time. You will often see people including widgets because they look cool rather than thinking clearly about content comsumption.

commented: couldn't agree more :) +9

Thanks all for your valuable conrtibution. I just got to know that its all depend on the motto behind creation of slider. Either we can use slider or static image.

Once again thanks all.

Do you have any other questions about this topic? If not, you can mark this thread solved and give rep points to the posts you believe that helped you a lot.

There is no such single comment which gives me complete answer so i would say all are up.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.