Hi everyone. My story is simple: I am looking for ways to be a web designer.

For now, I started learning Figma and Photoshop.
Do you think that with these klowledge I can get a designer work?

Where and how does web-designers work usually? Do they only create protopype designs and that is all?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

The last web designer I worked with could and did for a project setup a Tomcat server, write the code for the backend for vehicle GPS tracking and then the reporting backend, user interfaces, Java, Javascript, HTML and quite a long list if we keep going.

Are you going to do a lot more than what you listed? Otherwise you may be what I may call a graphic artist which would not be a web designer but a skill a web site can use.

PS. In other words, add to your stack. Example: https://www.daniweb.com/programming/web-development/threads/519207/how-can-i-become-a-full-stack-web-developer-in-half-a-year

To rproffitt's point, are you interested in being a web designer or a web developer? (Although I think he may be a little incorrect in terms of the function of a web designer in 2019 / 2020).

Designers focus on the aesthetics of the website. They plan out the user experience (UX) and user interface (UI). They focus on color theory, navigation, user behavior, conversion rates, and how the overall look and feel of a website, and each of its pages, work together to create the best experience for the end-user, and most profitable experience for the website.

Graphic designers don't really exist much nowadays in terms of the web, where so much can be done with CSS and HTML5 nowadays. However, there's definitely still a huge need for graphic design for ad campaigns, magazines, and of course logos and building out the occassional infographic.

Web developers write the actual front-end and back-end code that goes into creating a website. Front-end developers focus on HTML5, CSS, and Javascript, while back-end developers focus on SQL and PHP, Python, or whatever their language of choice is.

Systems administrators are those who maintain the actual web servers, database servers, caching servers, file servers, etc. Their job is to do things like set up and configure the MySQL server, Apache, nginx, load balancer, CDN, etc.

Webmasters are people who are tasked to create or maintain websites for small businesses, usually by using existing tools such as Wix, blogging platforms such as Wordpress, etc. They typically do not have programming skills to build something on their own, but they're experienced power users on the web.

commented: Thanks for this. My buddy did it all but does not consider himself to be a webmaster as he tends to start with deploying the server hardware and build +15
commented: Thank you! Now i see that i'd like to be a front-end developer +0

i think html is very basic language from where you have to start.

With so much technology out there, you should start off at self pace and see how far you can push your limit and willingness to learn. A good way is to youtube your topic and see what others do. Good luck.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.