I've noticed that there has been a change in the way reputation points are displayed. I have a suggestion about how they are displayed so that it looks better. When viewing the list of forum threads, to the left is the reputation number beside the topic. But it can look ugly and meaningless when every single one says 0. So perhaps if you made it so that when the reputation points in the thread are zero, have to so that it doesn't show any number beside the topic title in the forum list instead of having zero listed all the time. But by saying that I like how when there is something other than zero reps in a thread that it is displayed. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

This is an improvement on the 'old' situation.
- Perhaps you can also 'unbold' the number and make it slightly smaller to fit the rest of the design.
- The negative thread have a minus in front of the number to indicate that they're negative. Perhaps you can add a + to the positive numbers? That's what I see on other websites that use this kind of ratingsystem (Digg for example)

This is an improvement on the 'old' situation.
- Perhaps you can also 'unbold' the number and make it slightly smaller to fit the rest of the design.
- The negative thread have a minus in front of the number to indicate that they're negative. Perhaps you can add a + to the positive numbers? That's what I see on other websites that use this kind of ratingsystem (Digg for example)

There was something I just couldn't exactly put my finger on (couldn't work out what needed changing) and I think you found the rest of it. Yes I would agree.

I also found a bug (?). If I try to up/downvote a post made myself I get this:

Oops! Your vote didn't count ...
You cannot add reputation to your own posts.

which is great, but I would really like to have to option to close this window with having to close my entire browser :)

I also found a bug (?). If I try to up/downvote a post made myself I get this:

which is great, but I would really like to have to option to close this window with having to close my entire browser :)

Another person lost by assumptions. I read in a topic a while back that there was an advertisement window which did the same thing but you had to click outside the white box to close it. It is assumed that everybody knows that. How many really do because I didn't have a clue until I read that thread. I won't go into more detail other than the advertisement was for signing up for daniweb but clicking in the grey area will close it and having a close button would be better.

but you had to click outside the white box to close it.

You're right, that works.

You can also just press escape ;)

If you enter DaniWeb from another site and you're not logged in, you get a little popup window about our community asking you to register. There are four ways to close out of it:

Hit Escape
Click the bold close link in the top right
Click on the grey area anywhere outside the popup
Click the white area inside the popup

Basically, any interaction you have with it other than clicking the register link closes out of it. It's been like this since the day it was put up.

If you enter DaniWeb from another site and you're not logged in, you get a little popup window about our community asking you to register. There are four ways to close out of it:

Hit Escape
Click the bold close link in the top right
Click on the grey area anywhere outside the popup
Click the white area inside the popup

Basically, any interaction you have with it other than clicking the register link closes out of it. It's been like this since the day it was put up.

I read somewhere but I can't find it again that when it was first put up daniweb then received around 1000 members per day. And it was later discovered that the reason why so many signed up is because they thought that was the only way to close the box when in fact you had to click the gray area. I understand that has all been changed now but this seems to be the same situation with the message for voting on your own posts. So perhaps making sure that all full screen messages that grey out the rest of the browser should at least have a close button to help the user easily find a way to close it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.