Member Avatar for diafol

QUESTIONS (ardav): Is there a way to use Search Forum? I managed to find it via search site, then choose search in the breadcrumb.
(vb5prgrmr): Speaking of searches... I don't know if this has been mentioned before or in this way, but, search forum, just the forum, not the site, and/or perhaps a selection of forums to search but exclude all the others... just a thought...

REPLY (Dani): Click on the Search button at the top without filling in anything. Specify the forums you wish to search.

When I do this, I get an error message:

The following errors occurred with your search:

Surely, this isn't the way it's supposed to work? Also, how intuitive is a blank search to enable you to go to 'advanced search'/'forum search'? Would not a little 'Advanced Search' link below the search input box be useful?

>Surely, this isn't the way it's supposed to work? Also, how intuitive is a blank search to enable you to go to 'advanced search'/'forum search'? Would not a little 'Advanced Search' link below the search input box be useful?

Here, Here!

Using http://www.daniweb.com/forums/forum2.html as a starting point I can navigate forums at the tolerable level of discomfort. The out-of-style look of the page gives an impression that it is planned for deprecation. So, my first wish is please don't deprecate it.
Second, it would be much more comfortable, if its contents were filtered according to my preferences.

• The color scheme used; I really don't have problem with purple but the way a post is represented (white background inside light gray) again ends up putting strain on the eyes.
  • Different colors for read/unread threads. Icons are nice but the link color *needs* to change. This is because it has been always this way. If I have to look at images to see which threads I've read/not read, it ends up being quite a bother.

Any input on the remaining points now that the font size issue has been solved? The threads *really* need to look different based on whether they have been read or not. Just having a small icon doesn't help the cause here. The current thread link highlighting scheme is against what we have been using for years. Given that you always opt for simplicity, why this change?

Edit: In case you didn't know, the reputation comments on these two (first & second) posts are shown in different font sizes...

> Different colors for read/unread threads. Icons are nice but the link color *needs* to change. This is because it has been always this way.
Link colors have NEVER changed for read/unread threads.

> Link colors have NEVER changed for read/unread threads.

If not the colors then maybe the style (bold and not-bold). I'm pretty sure that in previous versions it was really easy to identify read threads based on the link formatting. Now no matter the state of the thread, the link always maintains the same style/color.

> Surely, this isn't the way it's supposed to work? Also, how intuitive is a blank search to enable you to go to 'advanced search'/'forum search'? Would not a little 'Advanced Search' link below the search input box be useful?

Yes, but there are only soooooo many tweaks and fixes that I can do at a time! Still working ......

Cheers,

Dani

Member Avatar for diafol

Thanks for the reply. I understand. No problem.

I guess the difference between read/unread links would take some err... time to come back. :-(

For those interested, I've created a small greasemonkey script which differentiates between read/unread links by changing the style of the link text. The attachment shows how the Java forum looks in my browser.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.