I have a suggestion for cscgal to make a forum for games and game consoles.

I'd be a forum to talk about game strategies, cheat codes, or whatever. That would be really cool.

Recommended Answers

All 76 Replies

We have never had such a forum to avoid targeting the teenage / gamer type, instead trying to focus on reaching and attracting professionals with careers in IT. However, such discussion would be welcome in the Geeks' Lounge.

avoid targeting the teenage / gamer type,

well, that has kinda failed ;) as me, joshsch, christina,serunson and all the rest of the "myspace generation" are all using this forum

commented: ;) +11

ok, I understand.

How many people here would like a forum like that?

Yeah, I'm a teenager too.

I would but im worried it would attract modders and pirates

ok, I understand.

How many people here would like a forum like that?

Yeah, I'm a teenager too.

I think I would and I have not been a teen-ager for many years now. :) My grandon is a teenager -- does that count :*

well if it wouldnt atract modders and pirates because those topics are not allowed here.
so I got 2 votes so far.

I understan pirates, but why not modders? My understanding is that they create modifications of the games -- Diablo LOD ((C)Blizzard) had lots of them that are fun to play. Some games are writtin with that in mind.

well, isn't modding games illegal? maybe not.
that's still 2 votes.

Instead of restating my arguments about it, I'll simply link to this thread.
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread25111.html

>I got 2 votes so far.
There's lots of people that are in support of it. But that's not the issue here, as far as I can tell.

>well, isn't modding games illegal?
Depends. If the developer releases a mod kit for a game they've created, modding it is perfectly legal as long as you use the tools they provide. Where it turns illegal is when you start hacking the game itself, for example, giving yourself unfair advantages over other people in a multiplayer game.

ok, i get it. it would still be cool though.

We have never had such a forum to avoid targeting the teenage / gamer type, instead trying to focus on reaching and attracting professionals with careers in IT. However, such discussion would be welcome in the Geeks' Lounge.

If having a 'posting games forum' doesn't shoo away the 'professionals' neither would a 'gaming forum'. With such an active moderation staff, I don't think piracy related talk would be an issue.

My take is that a small game forum in the deep pits of 'Geeks Lounge' wouldn't have an effect on the professional aspect of Daniweb. And its not that only immature people play or discuss about games. There is Narue, me, Mel and the others.

I vote in favour of one.

Ah, whats wrong with teenagers? We are the IT future :)

well, that has kinda failed ;) as me, joshsch, christina,serunson and all the rest of the "myspace generation" are all using this forum

lol...

>well, isn't modding games illegal?
Depends. If the developer releases a mod kit for a game they've created, modding it is perfectly legal as long as you use the tools they provide. Where it turns illegal is when you start hacking the game itself, for example, giving yourself unfair advantages over other people in a multiplayer game.

Aww, thats what makes the game fun :) And I don't think thats illegal.. Just against most of the games' rules, and can result in your ban of the game.. but not legal consequences. I've modified game code, wrote autoer programs, etc. to cheat in multiplayer games (got caught and banned most of the time lol), but it was fun while it lasted :)

As for the idea of a new 'gaming' forum.. Dani is right, it would attract the people that she would rather not see here.

Hardware modding is replacing the BIOS or mofifying the motherboard in a console.

It is a legal grey area, but widely done. Many people do this to play foreign/pirate games or to install linux on thier console. Its illegal under the DMCA as it circumvents copy protection.

Oh hardware yea, but like editing code isn't. Right?

yeah modifications for software are usually ok

(i mean, thats what some games entire sucesss relied on, e.g half-life)

And its not that only immature people play or discuss about games. There is Narue, me, Mel and the others.

What makes you say that they are otherwise?

yeah, lol Narue can be childish sometimes

LOL My wife tells me I sometimes act as if I'm in my third childhood ;)

I meant that playing games doesn't make anyone immature as such. Everyone plays games. And no, its not that people who don't play games are immature if that is what you were assuming from my post. ;-)

3 votes

Thenss, do you like the US office? ever seen our one? our one is better IMHO but i suppose that somepeople wouldnt get the jokes over there

commented: Off-topic. -1
commented: Naw, the Office is worth going off-topic :) +11

I love the office US, that's why i have this avatar. I've never seen the UK version, but i'll give it a try, even though I won't get the jokes.
have you seen the US version?

commented: Off-topic. -1

a little.

>If having a 'posting games forum' doesn't shoo away the
>'professionals' neither would a 'gaming forum'.
But how do you know that the posting games aren't making DaniWeb less-inviting for professionals?

>Ah, whats wrong with teenagers?
Nothing. It's just the kind of culture that they bring that is contrary to DaniWeb standards: they're not completely matured, they tend to bring chat speak and a ton of other things that would keep professionals from becoming frequent members. This is supposed to be IT, and it's quite unlikely an influx of gamers/teenagers would increase technical assistance in the forums.

commented: Too late. +7

> But how do you know that the posting games aren't making DaniWeb less-inviting for professionals?
Because if they did, Dani wouldn't have kept them. Like I said, if Dani firmly believes that Daniweb has to attract professionals and if she has kept a posting games forum, there must be a reason behind it.

If a new forum is made, the Geek's Lounge, would actually contain 'geeky' discussions rather than 'FFXII rockzzzz'...

>Because if they did, Dani wouldn't have kept them.
Is it really that obvious, though? DaniWeb can't just be run through a filter that will let you know whether or not your site is inviting to professionals.

>if Dani firmly believes that Daniweb has to attract professionals and if
>she has kept a posting games forum, there must be a reason behind it.
Well, one thing I do know: it definitely wasn't kept to attract more professionals.

>If a new forum is made, the Geek's Lounge, would actually contain
>'geeky' discussions rather than 'FFXII rockzzzz'...
I think you're just avoiding the problem by moving it to some place where you won't see it. A better solution to undesirable threads would be to investigate WHY we're getting these in the first place, and deal with the source of the problem, rather than the problem itself.

I doubt DaniWeb was ever intended to attract only professional IT people -- afterall most of the people who post in the Software Development boards are students, not professionals. The number of professionals there could probably be counted on one or two hands and the majority of them are mods. So what's wrong with DaniWeb having the best of all worlds? Just have active moderators to filter out the bad chaff and there will probably be no other problems.

I doubt DaniWeb was ever intended to attract only professional IT people -- afterall most of the people who post in the Software Development boards are students, not professionals.

If the students want help with their assignments, great. There's no problem with that. These tend to be university students, and many of the more-experienced ones have a fair bit of knowledge under their belt.

But most gamers aren't university students. Most of them are highschool students, and you can probably bet that they're not getting straight-As in their report cards. Do we really want "dumb" people posting here? (Not like there aren't already :icon_rolleyes:)

Just have active moderators to filter out the bad chaff and there will probably be no other problems.

I doubt moderators would change people's posts so that they use "proper English". And correct me if I'm wrong, but moderators can't just delete/lock topics because they're pointless, can they?

haha.. No, I don't think Daniweb wants 'dumb' people to join.. maybe there should be an application in which one must pass a test :D

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.