so? daniweb rocks man :d

Sure it does... I especially like the Tech forums. (By the way, I just signed up for F@H)

Sure it does... I especially like the Tech forums. (By the way, I just signed up for [EMAIL="F@H)"]F@H)[/EMAIL]

and its really useful to be able to get help from people in other country's, especially pty, absolute legend! :cheesy:

darren

currently a Cruncher over at WCG

Hi Cscgal
hope you don't mind ,i've hopped on the jolly bandwagon !!I already do BBC climate change experiment which is swimming along ,so i thought id try this with the 41335 crew......

I just discovered this, and will gladly donate the cpu time of my computer to this worthwhile team effort.

what is folding at home?

does it do quad cpu?
if so i could put my server box to good use

It explains on the project page:

What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease? Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery.

You can help by simply running a piece of software. Folding@Home is a distributed computing project -- people from through out the world download and run software to band together to make one of the largest supercomputers in the world. Every computer makes the project closer to our goals.

You basically download a program that downloads work units, crunches them, and submits the work done back to the server. You then get another work unit.

There's many different clients for different people, including screensavers for desktop computers, and full programs that run on Linux/Mac/Win.

I've tried it a little bit, but at the moment my server can't run all day so it's too much work. But I'm planning to do it once I rewire my home.

It explains on the project page:

What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease? Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery..

Its not a mystery. Its due to the polar interactions from the hydrogen and phosphate bonds - they cause the tertiary structure to fold

I will maybe give it a go - I have run SETI at home before, that was fun

Well, why not? I'll hop on the ol' band(width)wagon and see if I can make a dent... *what? no graphical client for linux?* lol...

Dont spam jessicaggjj. That post is ridiulously offtopic.

I seems Dani and I are the only two active team members left -- what happened to everyone else?

I can't seem to get my kernel to compile properly with the required additions... (though really it's more that I have a mish-mash of kernel modules that I compiled, but that arent marked... :( I'm about ready to chroot myself a whole new installation and move to the 2.6.20 kernel... gentoo is not the best face of easy linux :P But last time I checked, a lot of binary distros were below the version required to run folding@home... I have an account on my computer just for it, and once I get everything sorted out (I'm in montana and I forkbombed myself accidentally when I was playing with a shell script that ran itself in the background... it never quite met the condition it was supposed to (in my mind) and now I image I have some thousands of iterations of bash running, but I can't even ssh in as root for a killall/pkill))

great article, thanks for sharing it.

<snipped>

commented: dont spam -3

Dont spam

I kind of stopped after a while because i felt my pc was slowing down. ;) it also gets very hot!

> I seems Dani and I are the only two active team members left -- what happened to everyone else?
Maybe a concept like the one used at Devshed should rope in a few more members. Of course considering that you need really good computers to Fold, only the ones with a decent configuration would be able to contribute.

> I kind of stopped after a while because i felt my pc was slowing down.
You can set it up as a screensaver so it only works when you're not using your computer.

yeh.... I could do that but I use my computer when it is on and people in my house get annoyed if it is on and i'm not using it. ;)

I tried this when Dani just posted it. Didn't work. Doesn't even start.. Er, is really this vista-compatible?

Er, is really this vista-compatible?

Yes, that's the os I'm using.

question: I have a Core2Duo. Is there a way to use both cores? Has anyone tried the beta for the multiple cores yet? is it stable?

I dont know but i know that in the past when i did it on linux there is a definate performance boost on my hyperthreaded P4 and to a greater extent, my server with multiple cpus so i

Just downloaded the 64-bit version for Linux; will be running it in the background from now on. Thanks for starting up this team... it's probably been over a year since I've run a Folding@Home client on any machines. Nice to have a reminder.

question: I have a Core2Duo. Is there a way to use both cores? Has anyone tried the beta for the multiple cores yet? is it stable?

If I remember correctly, with old versions of distributed computing clients such as Seti@Home, you could simply run two instances of the client to take advantage of dual CPUs. Of course, you'd have to run command-line versions based out of different directories for this to work... I'm running the 64-bit version for Linux myself, but I only have a single core Athlon 64 chip, so I can't test this method myself.

ive used to have Seti @ Home on an old server (dual pentium 2) and one instance used both CPUs.

Hrmm... What I was referring to was the ability to assign a process to run on a specific CPU under Win2K back in the old days. Maybe I was using a command-line client that didn't support multiple CPUs then, but I definitely had to run two instances to get max performance.

Have you tried running two instances simultaneously, and then monitoring CPU utilization via Task Manager (or top, as the case may be... what O/S are you running, anyhow?)

HP/UX or Netware i think, some unix anyway'

I dont have that server anymore

Signed up and working away. Man what a great idea.

Currently my dual-core is running 2 different instances - Lattice project and uFluids, the other 2 waiting for their turn are Rosetta and SpinHenge. (at least on this machine anyway.)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.