"ye sire i hath attendeth to thine peasants, how is thou foul wench?"

haha exactly. The english language has evolved so much since it was first introduced (whenever that was). If we could go back in time to say, Great Britain 5k years ago.. would they be able to understand us? Uh.. no. Do you think the language has stopped evolving? I am doubtful.

>No, by full I meant "complete especially in detail, number, or duration".
OK, I misunderstood you. Try wording your sentence better next time. :P

>Did you grow up using it?
Yes.

>Once again, what is the purpose of language? To communicate, right?
Yes, and the clearer we communicate here, the more professional we appear.

>If we write in this "IM lingo" then as long as people understand, it has
>fulfilled its purpose.
There's two things wrong with that. Firstly, instant-messaging lingo has far more ambiguities than the "politically-correct" English. Each TLA (three letter acronym :) usually has about two or three different meanings. The second problem is that not everyone that posts here knows every instant-messaging abbreviation. And so not everyone will understand what you are saying.

>if we all spoke proper english we would be speaking like:
Correction: if we all spoke in old English we would be speaking like that.

>133t speak will be the norm in 100 years time, you just watch..
And until then, let's use the speech that's normal for today, shall we? I think it will help everyone understand each other so much better.

There's two things wrong with that. Firstly, instant-messaging lingo has far more ambiguities than the "politically-correct" English. Each TLA (three letter acronym :) usually has about two or three different meanings. The second problem is that not everyone that posts here knows every instant-messaging abbreviation. And so not everyone will understand what you are saying.

Actually, most acronyms do not have more than one meaning.. And we are humans, we can use context clues to infer the only obvious meaning ;)

[edit] haha.. damn, I knew you would use that post to argue against me :D

>if we all spoke proper english we would be speaking like:
Correction: if we all spoke in old English we would be speaking like that.

I doubt they referred to it as old english back then..

>133t speak will be the norm in 100 years time, you just watch..
And until then, let's use the speech that's normal for today, shall we? I think it will help everyone understand each other so much better.

Yea, I'm not proposing we all switch to using IM lingo...

> If we write in this "IM lingo" then as long as people understand,
Correction, "as long as IM lingo oriented people understand". Its beyond the capability of a non English person to fully decipher the meaning of a IM lingo post. Hey, but who cares as long as the message is understood by my forum friends...

> 133t speak will be the norm in 100 years time, you just watch...
Glad I wouldn't be there to see it...

Well, even proper English has its ambiguities. Otherwise computer languages could be very much like the English language. If you truly want to speak with no ambiguity, speak in code. But it is true that many people do understand IM lingo especially if you are using it on the computer.

And all because of useless posts like that one....

Actually.. no. This thread is full of good posts.

**snort** Sorry, milk almost came out my nose! :icon_rolleyes:

No, it's look down upon because it's not professional. Daniweb is a professional site, not a My Space clone.

Once again, it is not professional to you, because you are not used to IM lingo.

But this is not IM. There is a place for that stuff, and a 'professional' setting is not it. The entire world is not IM.

I never said it was. This 'professional' setting is based on your biased views of what professional is. However, 'professional' to you may not mean the same as what it is to others.

Let's see. I've been a professional programmer/software engineer for 30 some years. And you? How long have you been in the industry? Do you actually want to debate who has a better grasp of professional language/etiquette?

And, it's MySpace btw.

Whatever :icon_rolleyes:

We obviously must do whatever the higher-ups tell us. If the admins/moderators/employers dislike "IM lingo" then obviously we should not use it. I am not complaining as it really makes no difference to me.

Gee, then why are you arguing about this since you've read the rules before, and have had the rule specifically pointed to more than once?:icon_wink:

he does have a point.

if we all spoke proper english we would be speaking like:

"ye sire i hath attendeth to thine peasants, how is thou foul wench?"

What a stupid comment. Since that is no longer proper (ended a few years ago, didn't it?) what the 7734 are you talking about?!?! :icon_confused:

(BTW, 7734 has been around long before computers, and is not leet. It's just a way to get around the filter :icon_twisted:)

the nature of the english language is to change.

Yes, but it's an evolution, not a revolution! Leet and IM is not English, it's a bastardization, just like Cockney rhyming slang. It's English, too, but it's not accepted in most circles, not taught in schools, etc....

actually, elements of rhyming slang are mainstream for the <20 age range

actually, elements of rhyming slang are mainstream for the <20 age range

Sounds like professionals to me...

**snort** Sorry, milk almost came out my nose! :icon_rolleyes:

Tuh, whatever..

Let's see. I've been a professional programmer/software engineer for 30 some years. And you? How long have you been in the industry? Do you actually want to debate who has a better grasp of professional language/etiquette?

That would be.. zero years. I'm just saying that others have different views on what professional is.

Gee, then why are you arguing about this since you've read the rules before, and have had the rule specifically pointed to more than once?:icon_wink:

I'm not arguing b/c I think IM lingo should be used on Daniweb. I'm arguing to.. uh.. well damn I guess I forgot. lol.. I'm just backing-up IM lingo b/c it is useful sometimes, and it isn't inherently bad.

(BTW, 7734 has been around long before computers, and is not leet. It's just a way to get around the filter :icon_twisted:)

Yes, when I was like 9 we would type that in our calculators, turn it upside down and laugh.. It really isn't that great ;) Besides, hell isn't filtered anyway so its pointless. :-/
[edit] Nice try at being cool though :D

Yes, but it's an evolution, not a revolution! Leet and IM is not English, it's a bastardization, just like Cockney rhyming slang. It's English, too, but it's not accepted in most circles, not taught in schools, etc....

In your opinion. However, not all people view it that way..

That would be.. zero years. I'm just saying that others have different views on what professional is.

Such as...
Please give names, length of time as a professional, and what they claim is professional that's counter to what we've been trying to tell you. Back up your statement!

I'm not arguing b/c I think IM lingo should be used on Daniweb. I'm arguing to.. uh.. well damn I guess I forgot. lol.. I'm just backing-up IM lingo b/c it is useful sometimes, and it isn't inherently bad.

Never said it wasn't useful. Never said it was inherently bad. Only said there are places it should not be used.

In your opinion. However, not all people view it that way..

Back up your statement. Who views it differently. Name just one person that is a leader in linguistics.

Such as...
Please give names, length of time as a professional, and what they claim is professional that's counter to what we've been trying to tell you. Back up your statement!

Uh, John and Jane Doe. Both been software developers for over 50 years now. :)

Never said it wasn't useful. Never said it was inherently bad. Only said there are places it should not be used.

Well then, why the hell are you arguing with me? lol..

Back up your statement. Who views it differently. Name just one person that is a leader in linguistics.

Look ^up to see my example.

Uh, John and Jane Doe. Both been software developers for over 50 years now. :)

Darn it, Josh. If you could just stop generalizing. Or using your own
"shaped world" like that's how the real world is. Or putting your own
criterions like facts, you would be almost OK.
I know I am openig a can of worms, but right now you sound very much like a politician.

Darn it, Josh. If you could just stop generalizing. Or using your own
"shaped world" like that's how the real world is. Or putting your own
criterions like facts, you would be almost OK.
I know I am openig a can of worms, but right now you sound very much like a politician.

hmm.. I was obviously kidding.. but uh, okay..

Why has this thread been bought back from the grave?
And wtf is that religion, i might as well say i am in the sect of Sarcasm, would be fun....

Hey man, I like this thread =)

Hopefully, that Salem dude is reading the whole thing.. but since there hasn't been much activity here in a while.. I'm going to try to revive this thread (again) with a post that I should have made in this thread rather than the gay thread.

hmm.. but the gay community says that they did not choose that lifestyle.. and I can believe them. Who would want to be gay with all the harassment they receive? No, I think homosexuality is some natural anomaly.. Something biologically goes wrong, and makes people attracted to others of the same sex. If this is true, then it would seem a bit hypocritical of your god to judge these people, no? (damn it.. everything always goes back to religion, doesn't it? ;))

I mean, all people were created in the image and likeness of god.. and if gayness is not a choice then god created it. IF god created it.. and he blatantly bashes it throughout the bible.. then the only conclusions that can be drawn are that one, God is a hypocritical, angry god or two, there is no god since the biblical and scientific evidence would be conflicting. =)

Although you make an alright point there one could argue the definition of "in his image". I don't think that it means an exact copy just like if someone takes a photo of you its not an exact copy.

Personally i think what it means when it says "God created man in his own image" it means that we were created with the ability to understand/comprehend the same things as God and that we have the ability to think independantly. Its this individuality that is the cause of homosexuality and other such things and not God being the cause. Where it becomes wrong is when God/The Bible says that its wrong/a sin.

Not saying that this is right but more that this is why Christians believe that its wrong.

Huh, 2 gay discussion threads at one time?

no, this is where the discussion regarding god is supposed to come into play..

I subscribe to the philosophies and beliefs of this church. Everyone who doesn't believe is inferior and will be eternally tortured by Bob. In fact Bob sends non believers to a horrible place in which you are tortured for eternity.

Ouch, well i could say that i am god, in my own sect, so really we are all gods, there is no one true god seeing as it is a thesis into which you and others around you believe.
Like that Simpson's episode once, they had a new 'religion' which was gaining everyone's money, for a chance to meet the 'chosen one'.

I think there are definatly alot of religions out there aimed at making money such as scienology however with the exception of the catholic church i do not really think that Christianity is in it for the money.

The other Christian sects take offerings similar to the catholics.. all religions are in it for the money..

The other Christian sects take offerings similar to the catholics.. all religions are in it for the money..

True. However these offerings are not about making money. They are used for the work of the church and helping the less fortunate. I do not think that there is any profit turnover as a result of these things.

The catholic church however has massive stockpiles of cash all of which seem to be most used by the high ups in the catholic church and not really going towards helping anyone but themself.

Actually, the catholics have organizations such as 'catholic family services', and many of the same things that the protestants offer. And if you don't think the protestants make a profit then you've got another thing coming.. they use that money to pay off the preachers, build more churches, and of course.. brain wash more innocent victims.

I believe in a God, and I am not even a scientist!

Yup, thats the point.. Most of the intellectuals know there is no god..

Actually, the catholics have organizations such as 'catholic family services', and many of the same things that the protestants offer. And if you don't think the protestants make a profit then you've got another thing coming.. they use that money to pay off the preachers, build more churches, and of course.. brain wash more innocent victims.

I do not know to much about the other big Denominations but what you have described to me seems more like expansion and speading the word like the bible tells us to. In order for a religion to simply be in it for the money i think the amount of money being contributed to the religion has to directly affect certain people or peoples. Usually those who have started it.

I do not think that the catholic churches are doing nothing with money that they do raise i just do not think they are putting the majority of the money to good use.

Yup, thats the point.. Most of the intellectuals know there is no god..

i could not have put it any better myself. it gives new meaning to my old school's saying... "knowledge illuminates."

same is true for the brain washing part.

what is really sad though is the fact that many of these brainwashers actually believe that they are doing the ones being brainwashed a favour!

There is no brainwashing about it. Everyone has to make their own choices. If someone doesnt want to believe then they dont have to.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.