I didn't know that this sort of work is so low valued

It isn't, at all, just the opposite. We rely upon members such as yourself reporting bad posts and spam to help us keep on top of the problem.

I am discussing this with Dani to see if anything can be done...

However. It should be noted that the drive behind the rep change has always been to get back to the rep bar being an instant and obvious gauge of the ability of the poster to answer support questions. Not perfect, by any means, but the best we can come up with.

>>Now bennet is bad repping me!

lol.. why don't you have look at it now. You are atleast trying to help. Some people in the Geek's lounge don't even bother to step inside the Tech forums. The astonishing part is one of them also has two green dots as peter budo said.

;) I was just messing with you. I got a bit peeved when you kept asking me to rep you which is why i gave you the -rep

> I didn't know that this sort of work is so low valued
I don't think so. Think of it this way, the same rep cancellation has happened to each and everyone out there. :-)

BTW, nice work Dani. Now only if you could work towards implementing the Devshed pointing system as pointed out by me and Dave, it would be really nice. :)

PS: Bleh, from 9 dots to 6 is no fun. ;-)

6 dots is still way more than loads of people, you probs top of the rep list :D

>>Now bennet is bad repping me!

lol.. why don't you have look at it now. You are atleast trying to help. Some people in the Geek's lounge don't even bother to step inside the Tech forums. The astonishing part is one of them also has two green dots as peter budo said.

That is a mysterious problem to which nobody is capable give me an answer...

Yeah, I was shocked when Christina had that much left. But, I don't peruse the whole site (only a couple of the forums really), so it's possible I suppose...

Being the researcher that I am, I decided to at least investigate some things here.

As of this writing, christina>you has 6 969 posts. Now on her profile it says 4 809 posts in the Posting Games and 1 699 in the Geek's Lounge. Since those don't count for rep, subtract those from her total. That brings her down to 461 posts. Now, there's a couple of other forums in the Coffee House category, and a little bit of searching reveals that 222 posts are in Community Introductions, while 171 posts are in DaniWeb Community Feedback. Subtract those as well, and it brings us to a grand total of dun dun dun....

68 posts!

Her reputation is somewhere between 100 and 150 points, based on the comment given when the mouse is hovered over her reputation. Let's say 125. Divide 125 by 68, and she gets an average of around 1.83 points per post. By contrast, I get around 0.1 points per post after subtracting Coffee House forums, while Salem gets about 0.4. Interesting...

[edit] Further researching reveals that Duki is at an average of about 0.74 points per post. Maybe we should just disable any reputation passed between Duki and Christina :P

commented: you definitely are a respectable snob :) +3
commented: Um.. Who cares? Why waster your time on something so trivial lol.. -2
commented: I care! I lost reputation earned by hard work, not chating about everything and nothing... +4

> I didn't know that this sort of work is so low valued
I don't think so. Think of it this way, the same rep cancellation has happened to each and everyone out there. :-)

BTW, nice work Dani. Now only if you could work towards implementing the Devshed pointing system as pointed out by me and Dave, it would be really nice. :)

PS: Bleh, from 9 dots to 6 is no fun. ;-)

Yea, I suppose it is a good change.. the rep system is much more meaningful now.. however, the winner of the chess tournaments wont get +rep from everyone now since it wont count anyway lol ;)

Oh and Sanjay, don't complain.. I had 8 dots.. now down to.. 2? :(

Dont spam

however, the winner of the chess tournaments wont get +rep from everyone now since it wont count anyway lol ;)

:D , what's the prize now then?

It isn't, at all, just the opposite. We rely upon members such as yourself reporting bad posts and spam to help us keep on top of the problem.

I am discussing this with Dani to see if anything can be done...

However. It should be noted that the drive behind the rep change has always been to get back to the rep bar being an instant and obvious gauge of the ability of the poster to answer support questions. Not perfect, by any means, but the best we can come up with.

I don't feel that repping the reporting of a bad post should be counted. As has been mentioned, it should reflect the helpfulness to other in answering questions, not policing the board.

Just my 2 dracmas

Dont spam

Thank you for that brilliant post. It was very helpful... :icon_rolleyes:

especially considering your signature :icon_wink:

Love the sarcasm :)
I would rep you but it is meaning-less :P

commented: meaningless rep lolzar +18

lolz

commented: this means nothing :P :P +3

Thank you for that brilliant post. It was very helpful... :icon_rolleyes:

especially considering your signature :icon_wink:

Sorry WaltP, but this time you missed by miles. Before jbennet post there was another post which got delete as it was spam. I flaged that post as spam.
Now WaltP you own him appology ;)

Back on topic, so far nobody from site management did not responded to the given problem. joeprogrammer "research" does worry me and confirm that re-make of reputation is not clear.

Sorry WaltP, but this time you missed by miles. Before jbennet post there was another post which got delete as it was spam. I flaged that post as spam.
Now WaltP you own him appology ;)

No I don't. If he'd learn to reference (quote) the post he's commenting on, his posts would make sense. Since he doesn't, it just looks like a wayward useless piece of advice. Why should I have to search for the post he's commenting on?

And to top it off, what's the sense in replying to a spam post? They never see your comment. :icon_rolleyes: IOW, post when necessary, not just because you can.

He made a mistake, he learned from it, case closed.
Do you have anything else to say regarding changes in reputation, or do you have answer to my question how possibely christina ended with better rep then me?

Well she could have got rep from the other parts of the site.
Maybe in the tech Talk area, only she knows, so go ask her!

Then you may want to read joeprogrammer post, quick link

No I don't. If he'd learn to reference (quote) the post he's commenting on, his posts would make sense. Since he doesn't, it just looks like a wayward useless piece of advice. Why should I have to search for the post he's commenting on?

hmm.. Well, actually most of the time when you 'quote' a post that is deleted then your post is also deleted. Whats the point of deleting the spam post itself when there are duplicates quoted elsewhere? I would have expected you to know this considering that you are a moderator yourself...

He made a mistake, he learned from it, case closed.
Do you have anything else to say regarding changes in reputation, or do you have answer to my question how possibely christina ended with better rep then me?

haha who cares?! It's reputation. I remember people complaining prior to Dani changing the rep system.. At one time I had the second highest reputation points in the community (next to that damn sanjay ;)), and no one seemed to care when Rashakil executed his rep program that skewed reputation badly. You guys just said "Oh, who cares, it's just rep. It doesn't even matter." And I agreed, it doesn't matter. So, I have the same message for you: It's just reputation points! If you want more, then continue contributing to the community, as I'm sure you will get more this way :)

After some investigation, I did find a bug in my script which recalculated everyone's reputation. Rep is being rebuilt as we speak and will be completed shortly. Stay tuned.

Ah, okay. How exactly does this script work anyway. I mean, does it consider the rep points we earned in the coffee house as a way of repping others.?

Hmm.. that sounds a bit confusing.. For example, I had 700 somethn rep points, and I +repped someone else. Does that person receive rep points based on my 700 points of reputation or does he/she only receive reputation dependent on my actual reputation points minus the reputation points earned in coffee house at the time that I repped him/her?

haha.. I hope that makes sense..

Reputation earned in the coffee house does not get added to your own reputation number, nor does it count towards your rep power (how much influence your rep has on others).

Why even give us the option of repping others in the coffee house then?

Because the Coffee House is, for the most part, a hang out, and it's still nifty to let people give and receive comments about each other's posts, and have post-specific rep bars within the postbits ... even if it doesn't influence the bigger sitewide picture.

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Hmm I reckon an accurate recalculation of reputation to exclude the coffee house is harder than meets the eye.

If I think about it long enough the situation becomes paradoxical and will depend on who gets downgraded first. But the question is how do you decide who gets downgraded first?

No one is 'downgraded'. The entire rep system is restarted. Everyone loses all their rep points, and then it is recalculated excluding the coffee house reps. Or rather, thats how I assume Dani would do it.. otherwise, it would not quite work out well

Member Avatar for iamthwee

hmm, la de da de dum.

You go in order of who repped first, I assume. Or, if that is unknown then the next logical option would be to go in order of posts. Start with post one, and hand out reputation accordingly. The latter method is of course, flawed..

[edit] Of course, I don't know if either is even possible, but I would think the administrators would have access to that information.. I'm sure Dani will answer that question, though.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.