This is related to my other thread:
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread102206.html
(note, there is a second page as well)

This is the new, more clear, info that I have on the possible cause.

The symptoms are that my sound starts cracking slightly and that my screen flashes black for a second then comes back. This is repeated the whole time. I immediately run a CHKDSK C: /f and then I restart. The results show that loads of sectors on my HDD are damaged and will have to be repaired.

Once repaired (if I'm lucky that Windows didn't crash altogether [if it does, i get a split-second BSOD and then PC restarts]) I check my Event Viewer and it shows an ERROR that happened at the same time as the 'crash'. It's the DCOM Error No.10016 - Cause: xpsp2res.dll

As I've read on microsoft's website, that error has something to do with 3rd party apps needing a lot of memory (note, my PC is newly formatted [for the 6th time today] with almost nothing on it). They provided me with a HOTFIX, and I have installed that now. I'm still waiting on the crack sounds and black screen. Will have to wait and see.

It has been said that it could be my POWER, HDD Overheating, or permanent HDD Damage. It is NOT overheating and it is NOT permanent HDD damage (have tested on 2 other HDDs).
It COULD be power, but I'm not sure - because what does my power have to do with DCOM errors and memory stuff? Plus, It doesn't happen on Vista...AT ALL. So it has to be something to do with XP. I've used this PC for almost 3 years now and only about 1 year ago this problem started. At first it was once every 2 weeks, now it's about 5 - 7 times a day. AT first I thought it was a hacker screwing with my files, but it happens even when I'm completely disconnected from the net.

Please help. I am desperate and tired. I have been trying to seriously and deeply solve this issue for the past 2 months and haven't had a moment of entertainment. Can't watch my DVDs, can't play games, because the moment I try to relax, the PC crashes.

PLEASE! it will be greatly appreciated.

Have a new theory.
That Hotfix appears to be working, cuz my errors don't occur anymore.

BUT - my new theory is that it's my graphics card.
It makes sense now that whenever I watch a movie, go to a flash-site like youtube or play a game, my screen flashes. I've read that it's Nvidia Geforce card-related and that the only solution is to get a new one.

Any OTHER suggestions? Still think it could be my power?

I GOT IT!!
Vista finally got the problem too! But it didn't go quietly. It came with an identification:
nvlddmkm.sys
Along with a message stating that my DISPLAY DRIVER stopped working.

The only way I think I can fix it is by getting latest driver updates (which I have) or tuning the Mhz in my BIOS like some website suggested.

Any other clear help?

I also have the same problem as you the dreadful error 10016 with the same xpsp2res.dll failing, the PC crashes making a crackling noise if I'm watchin a video or listening to music, if I'm not it just becomes unresponsive. What hot fix did you use to fix your XP?

I got XP Pro SP3
Intel Pentium D 3.0Ghz
1GB DDR2
Realtek HD Audio chip
Nvidia 6600 LE

Hi! Jeez, it's been long since this post. 30th of December!

I kinda solved the problem in my own way and I have not had a single problem or crash since about the 2nd of January! I'm SO happy that my PC doesn't give me crap anymore.

I figured that I was perhaps pushing my graphics card too much (3 year-old GeForce 6800 Ultra is probably not as good as it used to be back in its glory days). So, what I did is I went to my BIOS and set everything back to the factory defaults (I was running some sort of overclocking at the time, so it might have played a part in my crashes). Just remember vital settings in you BIOS that you'll need to set back (e.g. if you don't have a floppy drive, go disable the A: Drive , etc, etc, etc).

Next, I installed the latest NVidia drivers as usual, but then I went to the NVidia Control Panel and adjusted the card's performance and quality settings. Most of the settings have sliders with 'Performance' and 'Quality' to choose from and then an option in the middle, between them. I chose that one, thus not to push my graphics card too far, yet still having good quality. Do that with everything you can find on the control panel. You'll barely notice a difference in quality of the display, so don't worry.

Lemme know how it's going. It seemed to work for me, as I have not had a single problem in 2½ months.

Hi! Jeez, it's been long since this post. 30th of December!

I kinda solved the problem in my own way and I have not had a single problem or crash since about the 2nd of January! I'm SO happy that my PC doesn't give me crap anymore.

I figured that I was perhaps pushing my graphics card too much (3 year-old GeForce 6800 Ultra is probably not as good as it used to be back in its glory days). So, what I did is I went to my BIOS and set everything back to the factory defaults (I was running some sort of overclocking at the time, so it might have played a part in my crashes). Just remember vital settings in you BIOS that you'll need to set back (e.g. if you don't have a floppy drive, go disable the A: Drive , etc, etc, etc).

Next, I installed the latest NVidia drivers as usual, but then I went to the NVidia Control Panel and adjusted the card's performance and quality settings. Most of the settings have sliders with 'Performance' and 'Quality' to choose from and then an option in the middle, between them. I chose that one, thus not to push my graphics card too far, yet still having good quality. Do that with everything you can find on the control panel. You'll barely notice a difference in quality of the display, so don't worry.

Lemme know how it's going. It seemed to work for me, as I have not had a single problem in 2½ months.

Well i went and upgraded all the drivers on my pc aswell getting the latest drivers for my GPU. And I now get Tcpip 4226 Warnings (xpsp2res.dll) but it doesnt crash what so ever so it's all good. It did crash in the morning but I was pushing the hardware alot (doing some photoshop work, music, download and web browsing). I think it was my nvidia card asking for some resting time lolol thanks for the info guys, hope to have solved the problem.

You can still try to get the hotfix for the xpsp2res.dll and see if it works.

Go to:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894472

Scroll down to RESOLUTION and click on the link. Follow the steps and Microsoft will send it to you within 24 hours. If you can't get it, lemme know and I'll upload mine.

However, I don't think the hotfix installs on SP3. I made it work by installing XP SP2 first, then the hotfix, and THEN the SP3 upgrade. Try anyway.

thankx alot mate, gonna try it and see what happens.

well the patch says thats its already installed since I have SP3. But I havent had any crashes in a week now after I updated the graphics card drivers and reverted it to medium settings. So thank you every one for your help.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.