Very common thing i am sure and was able to get rid of others before but i have this popup for a virus removal that looks very similar to the Windows security shields, it keeps popping up for a download from netsecurityonline.com and powerfulvirusremoval2008.com and I cant get rid of it even with the spyware removal I have been using. Any suggestions on how to remove this. Thanks

this is the links for downloads that keeps popping up.

VirusRemoval2008_Setup_Free_en.exe

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html) to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
* At the end, be sure to checkmark the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
* If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
* Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
* When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
* Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
* When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
* Post the log back here.

Make sure that you restart the computer.

The log can also be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt
Or at C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt

commented: Truly a Spyware Killer you are +5

I got it to download

Thanks Crunchie

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Anti-Malware_d5756.html) to your desktop.

Thank you Crunchie for your help and instructions. The process worked perfectly. I'm rid of that nasty thing.

Dan

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.31
Database version: 1580
Windows 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1

12/31/2008 5:55:05 PM
mbam-log-2008-12-31 (17-55-05).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|D:\|L:\|N:\|)
Objects scanned: 217056
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 36 minute(s), 19 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 2
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 2
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 6

Memory Processes Infected:
C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Local\Temp\~tmpb.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Unloaded process successfully.
C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Local\Temp\~tmpc.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Unloaded process successfully.

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mozilla\MSFox (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\cognac (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\MSFox (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\KJNOIPKG\VirusRemover2008_Setup_Free_en[1].exe (Rogue.Installer) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Local\Temp\~tmpa.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Local\Temp\~tmpb.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Local\Temp\~tmpc.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Local\Temp\~tmpd.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Dan\AppData\Local\Temp\yyy6901.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.

No worries :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.