I know you probebley think why all of this on a forum but once you read it all you will understand, first of all i would like to explain that this is genuine cry for help i have a 15 year old son who sufferes from RSD this happened to my son after a genral blood test 2 years ago, he as not been in school for 2 years either because of this condition as it as knocked his confedance as so cauld freinds were calling him handy caped, the result servere depretion , anyway for two years solid he as lived and breathed for his xbox 360, playstation 3 and world of warcraft on his pc, all that keeps him going is a dream one day he will be able to make games hi i know this is probebly out of the ordenary but my son jamie wants to work in decoding and making games he is only 15 please please can you help do you know of any corses, please excuse my spelling only had a stroke a few years ago and had to learn to read and write alover again. anyway please any help would be most gratefull thanks x

slout024 commented: dude. this web isn't a doctor browser or something. +0

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Know :

C/C++
Python
java
OpenGL
DirectX

Depending on you situation, your son should learn the list above , although c++ and opengl/directx should be more important than others.

Also check out community colleges, and talk to them for what courses they offers, with regards to programming. Or even check out their websites. There are lots of resources online as well. You
could definitly learn a lot from the internet as well.

As a suggestion, I would like to tell you that there are some basics to game development. I do not know how the education of your son has been through the learning years, but an understanding (or rather much more an undying interest) is required in Math for someone to be a game developer. This after all depends on what type of game development he wants to be into and also that I myself am not really much into it, which reads - not at all - but during graduation while learning transformations, projections etc we were told that to be a graphics developer you would need to have your base strong in this region. That was 5-6 years earlier and as mentioned I do not know the situation now, since new technologies seem to crop up every six months. The point I want to make here is he needs to start learning from the ground up if that is what the career he intends to pursue. Later on a sound knowledge of the Visual C++, Python, OpenGL, DirectX etc (as mentioned above) would be certainly required.
Anyway he takes you have my best wishes with you.
PS : As a forum that takes pride in helping others, I think you don't need to say 'please' so often, we would be more than willing to help in any way that we can.

learning C++ or python are great ways to start making games

Hi,

Programming a game can be a very daunting task, especially for a 15 year old! There's quite a bit of work and design that goes in to it. Before he can even think about programming games he'll need to have a good foundation in math, some physics, and programming. These things can take years of study and experience to acquire. However, there are a couple options that you may want to consider that allow you to make games without knowing any programming, giving you access to already created content and tools.

There is a program called RPG Maker, that allows you to create 2D RPG games. Here is a link:
http://tkool.jp/products/rpgxp/eng/

Also, there is a program called GameMaker that allows for a little more flexibility. There is a download for it here, as well as some tutorials on how to make games with it:
http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker

I've never used either of these programs (Except for an early version of RPGMaker many years ago), so I can't give you a recommendation on which might be better, but I think both may be good options for you to look in to in the short term.

In the long term, you should encourage him to study math and try some simple programming tutorials with a language such as Python. Choosing a major in college that involves programming would be a good choice (Software Engineering, Computer Science), and if he knows some programming before then he'll be ahead of the game. Programming a game takes a lot of experience, studying, and dedication, so make sure he does his math homework, and he'll be programming games before you know it :p

mumneedshelp - Join Date: 20th Jan 2009 - Last Activity: 7 Days Ago
Always reassuring to know that our collective efforts are not going to waste.

There is a program called FPS creator but you have to pay for it, althought there is a free version, it just has less features.

he can learn a lot of gaming softwares and programmes but.., i think he should learn some of the basic subjects as well.. like.. math.. history... nahh.. not important.. learn java ., c++ instead.. hehe :P

commented: trash -1

he can learn a lot of gaming softwares and programmes but.., i think he should learn some of the basic subjects as well.. like.. math.. history... nahh.. not important.. learn java ., c++ instead.. hehe :P

I fail to understand the point of this post. The OP isn't returning back here. This fact was underlined way earlier which was second sited by me to obj7777 in my previous post, yet you are adding to it. Also you aren't even mentioning anything that hasn't already been mentioned earlier.

I fail to understand the point of this post. The OP isn't returning back here. This fact was underlined way earlier which was second sited by me to obj7777 in my previous post, yet you are adding to it. Also you aren't even mentioning anything that hasn't already been mentioned earlier.

Jen0608 Is just one of those people who like to post meaningless replies to (old) threads, just so that their signature-links are being posted and they get some extra traffic (and/or cash) to their website.
I always flag these kinds of posts as 'bad posts', but the moderators can't really do anything about it, because technically, these posts aren't against the rules... Which is too bad IMO

commented: Posts like those drive me crazy as well. +18

closed

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.