Hi all,

The previous flash 8 I used has got an swf player such that when I open the swf from the windows folders, the swf runs in its own standalone player. (not the exe projector)

But recently I tried to do the same for Flash CS4, the swf does not run. During the installation I skipped all the other misc programs. Is anyone of them required to run the swf?

Regards
Jake

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Hi all,

The previous flash 8 I used has got an swf player such that when I open the swf from the windows folders, the swf runs in its own standalone player. (not the exe projector)

But recently I tried to do the same for Flash CS4, the swf does not run. During the installation I skipped all the other misc programs. Is anyone of them required to run the swf?

Regards
Jake

I'm not sure I follow you? I got that you had flash 8 installed and clicking the .swf runs it in a standalone player, but what's happening with CS4?? What extra programs did you skip?? I've not used CS4, so I don't know what ships with it! For all of my AS3 stuff I've been using Flashdevelop, but I still use flash 8 pro for video encoding!

It sounds like you don't have flashplayer installed properly...
If no .swfs work at all, then you need to install the latest version of flash player.
If your old flash 8 .swf's work but the .swf's created in CS4 don't, then you'll need to update your flash-player to the latest version.

Other than that, I can't really see a problem!

If you have the most recent version of the flash plugin, i believe you can view the SWFs in IE.

hmmm ok... maybe I try to make it clearer...

step 1: if I "test movie" from inside the flash program, the swf runs. "test movie" creates an swf in the folder where the fla resides.

step 2: so now if i close the the flash application. and double click (run) the swf in the folder, it doesn't run.

step 3: if i embed the swf in an HTML and open that HTML in a web browser, it works. This should mean the flash plugin in the browser work.

step 4: but if i use the web browser to open the swf directly for c:\path\to\flash.swf it doesn't work. same for http://www.domain.com/flash.swf doesn't work.

In the past before I install flash CS4 and before I uninstall flash 8, all 4 steps work. now, it doesn't. for step 2, it says file association required in the set associations panel. But i am not sure which program runs the new swf. I cant seem to find it.

any idea?

The stand alone player and the plugin are two different things. Also, the IE plugin and the Firefox plugin are two different things.

The stand alone player and the plugin are two different things. Also, the IE plugin and the Firefox plugin are two different things.

yea I need the standalone player. which one is it?

yea I need the standalone player. which one is it?

I don't know the filenames.

- I got the stand alone player from The Adobe website.

- I got the Firefox plugin when I came to website that needed it while using Firefox. Firefox installed it for me when I gave the OK.

- I got the IE plugin when I went to the same website that needed it while using IE. IE installed it for me when I gave the OK.

from the Adobe site? hmmm... checked a few times... ok I check again. thanks!

EDIT: Still can't find the adobe flash player link just gives the web player version... it isn't the Adobe Media Playe right?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.