Leaving rep no longer causes an immediate page refresh.

The old version seemed pretty smart about how much redrawing was necessary (not much usually).

The preview pane for messages grows a little past where it should stop when pasting code. See attached screen shot with a very unhappy avatar.

(I photoshop for $90/hr)

OK one more bug... If you edit a past you have already created then add some code in there with code tags, click "Go Advanced", then preview your post -- it will not render the code inside of code tags. If you submit anyway then it will show up with code tags but the preview function is broke if you edit posts after the fact.

>I was under the impression that rep wasn't being affected if it
>was handed out here. Is there a bug in the new way it works?
Seems that way. Before I gave you reputation on your post, you had 485 points:

Afterwards, you had 508 (notice the extra dot beside your profile):

Another bug I already mentioned can also be seen in John's attachments.
At the top of the second pic it reads: "Community reputation points awarded: 508" which is Dani's rep.
At the bottom of the second pic, it reads: 967 points total. Which is John's rep.

Leaving rep no longer causes an immediate page refresh.

The old version seemed pretty smart about how much redrawing was necessary (not much usually).

Neither does reading a thread.

Also when you edit a post and press 'back' on the browser, your post will disappear. This bug has been in DW before (like a year or something ago.)

>If you specify an invalid language, it defaults to using the one from the
>current forum. csharp is now invalid in favor of C#. For c++, you can do
>C++ or cpp.
I find this solution extremely distasteful. You can't make those old language tags backwards-compatible? For a long time now, we've been posting (and telling other people) to highlight their code with, for example . While defaulting to the language of the forum might work for most snippets, [B]a lot[/B] of code that's been posted in a different language will now be highlighted with the wrong syntax.

What about shell scripting? Do you just assume it's bash?[code=cplusplus]. While defaulting to the language of the forum might work for most snippets, a lot of code that's been posted in a different language will now be highlighted with the wrong syntax.

What about shell scripting? Do you just assume it's bash?

>At the bottom of the second pic, it reads: 967 points total. Which is John's rep.
The "967 points" thing was unchanged by my rep (compare it with the first screenshot), so I really have no clue what that's supposed to be representing.

If you specify an invalid language, it defaults to using the one from the
current forum. csharp is now invalid in favor of C#. For c++, you can do
C++ or cpp.

I find this solution extremely distasteful. You can't make those old language tags backwards-compatible? For a long time now, we've been posting (and telling other people) to highlight their code with, for example (code=cplusplus). While defaulting to the language of the forum might work for most snippets, a lot of code that's been posted in a different language will now be highlighted with the wrong syntax.

What about shell scripting? Do you just assume it's bash?

agreed++

>At the bottom of the second pic, it reads: 967 points total. Which is John's rep.
The "967 points" thing was unchanged by my rep (compare it with the first screenshot), so I really have no clue what that's supposed to be representing.

Dani's screen is showing your rep on her page. The bottom total shows the rep of the currently logged in user viewing the page.

commented: Ah. I was a little slow on that one. +23

After you hit the "Go Advanced" button to post on a thread you have an option to insert an email link. Shouldn't that be removed since daniweb tries to keep discussions on-thread? Email me!

Also when you use the EMAIL tags it links to a page that doesn't exist and you get a 404. Click on the email me link above

Thank you for notifying me that email subscriptions weren't working. I fixed them, and hence the flow of emails all rushing in at once..

Ya noticed that, lol. Cheers for prompt fix :)

Reputation fixed and email link bbcode removed.

Reputation fixed

No it's not, I just 'repped' you for that post and it still added to your total :)

My own rep however doesn't show up anymore on your profile, so that one is fixed!

Previously there was a permalink for each post on the post number. Has this functionality been removed, or has it been moved elsewhere?

The userrep page was recoded.

The permalink for each post on the post number was removed because it linked to a page just containing that one post, and I felt that was very unuseful because people who ended up on the page never grasped anything in the context of the discussion. It also created duplicate content issues with Google.

You can't even give us a post123.html#post123 option like you do for new posts in threads? :-(

The userrep page was recoded.

The permalink for each post on the post number was removed because it linked to a page just containing that one post, and I felt that was very unuseful because people who ended up on the page never grasped anything in the context of the discussion. It also created duplicate content issues with Google.

Those links are still given out:
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/finduser1.html

[edit]
Example taken from the search:
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/post979899.html#post979899
[/edit]

That search option returns all of the posts with the "permalink" post URL that shows the entire threads content. Wouldn't something like that be acceptable? Then we could still have the handy permalink on the post # :)

>If you specify an invalid language, it defaults to using the one from the
>current forum. csharp is now invalid in favor of C#. For c++, you can do
>C++ or cpp.

code=php is not working in the PHP forum.

EDIT: Just went back to get a screenshot to post, now it is working as before :$

Sorry about that ... You're right, it wasn't working. I went and fixed it just now.

Two bugs that I have found. One is that the emails sometimes show the raw html code instead of displaying the styled content. Could this be possibly something to do with the email headers.

Also when viewing daniweb in the Opera browser, there is a minor bug with the bottom border. The bottom border is separated from the main page with a gray gap. However in Internet Explorer this isn't the case. I have attached a pic to help explain.

I also get the plain text emails every so often.

There is also an issue when giving rep. I don't get my lovely alert() message:

Webpage error details

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
Timestamp: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 12:22:33 UTC

Line: 11
Char: 1271
Code: 0
URI: http://www.daniweb.com/forums/clientscript/vbulletin_ajax_reputation.js?v=382
commented: Just a test :) +36

Please give a detailed error message expaining when you get html vs plaintext mail, which emails it happens for, and please show me the contents of the email and email headers.

The tag feature is handy!
When I click on Java I get all the threads tagged with Java.
If I do this for C# or C++ I get an invalid tag specified error.

commented: Testing reputation ... please ignore. +36

The tag feature is handy!
When I click on Java I get all the threads tagged with Java.
If I do this for C# or C++ I get an invalid tag specified error.

Fixed.

Please give a detailed error message expaining when you get html vs plaintext mail, which emails it happens for, and please show me the contents of the email and email headers.

I tried but exchange/outlook don't actually retain a copy of the original email message so no luck. The headers themselves are fine but I think the message body is whats screwed up -- and if I had to guess I think it would be the boundaries for the alternate view text/html.

Plaintext email (bad):

Received: from apexts.apexsoftware.com (10.2.1.7) by mail.apexsoftware.com
 (10.2.1.4) with Microsoft SMTP Server id 8.0.813.0; Tue, 8 Sep 2009 11:16:06
Received: from app1.daniweb.com ([74.53.219.155])	by apexts.apexsoftware.com
 (SonicWALL 6.2.3.1217)	with ESMTP; Tue, 08 Sep 2009 11:16:07 -0400
Received: from [192.168.0.202] (helo=web2.daniweb.com)	by app1.daniweb.com
 with esmtp (Exim 4.63)	(envelope-from <community@daniwebmail.com>)	id
 1Ml2QQ-0007ky-7S	for username@apexsoftware.com; Tue, 08 Sep 2009 10:16:06 -0500
Received: from web2.daniweb.com (web2.daniweb.com [127.0.0.1])	by
 web2.daniweb.com (8.13.8/8.13.8) with ESMTP id n88FG6dE019172	for
 <username@apexsoftware.com>; Tue, 8 Sep 2009 10:16:06 -0500
Received: (from apache@localhost)	by web2.daniweb.com (8.13.8/8.13.8/Submit)
 id n88FG6W1019171;	Tue, 8 Sep 2009 10:16:06 -0500
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 10:16:06 -0500
X-Authentication-Warning: web2.daniweb.com: apache set sender to community@daniwebmail.com using -f
To: username@apexsoftware.com
Subject: Reply to thread 'Upgrade bugs'
From: DaniWeb IT Discussion Community <community@daniwebmail.com>
Auto-Submitted: auto-generated
Message-ID: <20090908151604.807f8e1ab5bb@www.daniweb.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: vBulletin Mail via PHP
X-Spam-Score: -1.4
X-Spam-Report: -1.4 ALL_TRUSTED            Passed through trusted hosts only via SMTP
X-Mlf-Threat: nothreat
X-Mlf-Threat-Detailed: nothreat;none;none;list_addrbk_sender
X-Mlf-UniqueId: i200909081516060045615
Return-Path: community@daniwebmail.com

HTML Email:

Received: from apexts.apexsoftware.com (10.2.1.7) by mail.apexsoftware.com
 (10.2.1.4) with Microsoft SMTP Server id 8.0.813.0; Tue, 8 Sep 2009 11:25:12
Received: from app1.daniweb.com ([74.53.219.155])	by apexts.apexsoftware.com
 (SonicWALL 6.2.3.1217)	with ESMTP; Tue, 08 Sep 2009 11:25:13 -0400
Received: from [192.168.0.203] (helo=web3.daniweb.com)	by app1.daniweb.com
 with esmtp (Exim 4.63)	(envelope-from <community@daniwebmail.com>)	id
 1Ml2ZE-0007pB-49	for username@apexsoftware.com; Tue, 08 Sep 2009 10:25:12 -0500
Received: from web3.daniweb.com (web4.daniweb.com [127.0.0.1])	by
 web3.daniweb.com (8.13.8/8.13.8) with ESMTP id n88FPBC5019395	for
 <username@apexsoftware.com>; Tue, 8 Sep 2009 10:25:11 -0500
Received: (from apache@localhost)	by web3.daniweb.com (8.13.8/8.13.8/Submit)
 id n88FPB9I019394;	Tue, 8 Sep 2009 10:25:11 -0500
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 10:25:11 -0500
X-Authentication-Warning: web3.daniweb.com: apache set sender to community@daniwebmail.com using -f
To: username@apexsoftware.com
Subject: Reply to thread 'Profile Viewing Page suggestions/ideas'
From: DaniWeb IT Discussion Community <community@daniwebmail.com>
Auto-Submitted: auto-generated
Message-ID: <20090908152449.3929aea8522c@www.daniweb.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/html; charset="utf-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: vBulletin Mail via PHP
X-Spam-Score: -0.6
X-Spam-Report: -1.4 ALL_TRUSTED            Passed through trusted hosts only via SMTP
	0.8 HTML_IMAGE_ONLY_32     BODY: HTML: images with 2800-3200 bytes of words
	0.0 HTML_MESSAGE           BODY: HTML included in message
	0.0 MIME_HTML_ONLY         BODY: Message only has text/html MIME parts
X-Mlf-Threat: nothreat
X-Mlf-Threat-Detailed: nothreat;none;none;list_addrbk_sender
X-Mlf-UniqueId: i200909081525120045751
Return-Path: community@daniwebmail.com

Notice that my spam filter recognized one as an html-enabled email and not the other. Something in the message is buggered up I think

Ok so you got both emails within minutes of each other, and one was good and the other wasn't?

Correct. It is rather random. I compared 4 good emails and 4 bad emails but found nothing consistent in the headers.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.