my desktop pc has a error i turn it on everything starts up great gets to windows xp runs any program perfectly until i go into any type of online game that is full screen and its only while im online that it happens the internet connection isnt bad because i can do all sorts of stuff online and run messenger and stuff like that and they stay connected what i am thinking is a couple of different things could be a problem
the motherboard i have is a pt88sbpro from machspeed i have a intel processor i know it aint that it runs at 3.0 ghz or somewhere around there also i have a golden orb 2 fan also a ati 9550 radeon videocard also i have a 600 or 700 watt powersupply my video card is agp 8x

i am thinking that it could be that agp 8x bandwidth was compromised because of the pci-e 16x videocard slot which is why the errors that are coming up are video card related but the thing is i just got that video card also so it really surprised me when it started happening that could also mean that my videocard i had before wasnt a problem

or it could be from not having enough watts for my computer to run which would really surprise me or it could do with the video card not being a pci-e and me only having agp videocard

so who wants to help with this mess i would really appreciate it and i would ask for quick reply

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

The most likely thing is incorrect drivers. I've heard people having real trouble with ATI drivers. Go to this page, and select your options (probably XP Pro/Home > Radeon > 9550) click 'go' and download & install the latest drivers.

A long shot, but something to try is to go in to the BIOS, to 'Integrated Peripherals', then change 'Init Display First' from PCI-Express to AGP.

While you're in the BIOS, have a look at the 'PC Health Status' section and look at your CPU and System temperatures. When in the BIOS, your system is not under stress, but this will give you a general idea of how hot your system is. A hot system is a sad system.

Let us know how u get on.

i also have heard of people having problems with ATI drivers. thats why i use Nvidia.

ATI is also known for having bad cards from the factory. if reinstaling the correct driver doesn't work it might be a malfunctioning card. in that case ATI will waranty it. But if it just overheating you can pick up a video card cooler for about $20

depending on the game. they may be too much for the card.

its not the game i am 100% sure of that. as for driver problems doubtful. i am not some beginner i am more of a novice and i know how to install correct drivers. also the init display first i will try that and i hope that it fixes it. and i watch the health of my computer very closely and really doubt that would be the problem.

next time i go home i will check these problems the init display first and see what pops up and how it works it might be a while til i get home. as soon as i do tho i will check it thanx for now and goodbye.

*edit*also i will make sure i download the right driver for my computer thanx*edit*

you may know how to install correct drivers but windows will use any driver it can find. you may check and see if there is more than one driver installed. that can cause problems.

i am thinking that it could be that agp 8x bandwidth was compromised because of the pci-e 16x videocard slot which is why the errors that are coming up are video card related but the thing is i just got that video card also so it really surprised me when it started happening that could also mean that my videocard i had before wasnt a problem

to me this statement means its the Game ,to much for your video card and agp slot setup ,

Edit : I just did a search of the board ,you have both pc1-e and agp slots ,then i reread your statement ,and now it makes sence you ahd pci-e before ,so why did you change ,were you getting same error with it as now .

no its that i havent changed to pci-express i have thought that could have been a part of the problem but still i am 100% unsure of the problems

im going to try and look into when i get to my new trade in shriver job corps im gonna have more people around me some that hopefully know more and some that maybe know less

i know it sounds wierd that it could be that but when both agp and pci express i am wondering if they have to compromise the pipeline or bandwidth of one so that if you had a board that has a main connection made for pci express it would compromise agp8x anyways that is all my thoughts and i really do love this computer and would like to make it work but i dont know how this is gonna happen with the problems i am having and i still need to get a windows xp genuine number for it gosh that stinks.

anyways ttyl bye

and i really do love this computer and would like to make it work but i dont know how this is gonna happen with the problems i am having
;

take it to someone who know how to fix computers ,there are a few outthere

in about two years ill be certified to do that stuff anyways so i guess i can wait

*AFTERTHOUGHT*
but i would still like to do the work my self if possible and do it all myself
*edit*

Some 'shots in the dark' for you:

Do you have the latest Direct X?
There's a version 9c that was released in 2008, might be worth putting on.

Does your BIOS tell you what volts it's putting to that AGP slot? Is that enough for your card?

Does your motherboard have jumper settings for AGP vs PCIe? (that is pins you put a jumer on).

Could your GPU be getting too hot? ATI tool has a handy feature that displays a rotating ball of fluff, and will tell you how your card's tempereatures are under load without having to start up a game.

Could your CPU be getting too hot (I see you've got an aftermarket cooler, but it might not be installed optimally). You could run this (OCCT) for a short time (make a custom test for 30min or something) which will tell you if your CPU and RAM are stable-ish. It's not a 100% gaurantee for hardcore clockers, but would tell you how your CPU does at 100% load.

Are there new chipset drivers for your mobo?

Totally long shots, but it's all I've got sorry. I hope you can do it yourself, taking it to someone else is like admitting defeat.

There is no shame in asking for help. IT people do it all the time. that is why there is sites out there like this, so that people like us have a good resource for learning.

im in computer tech class now so hopefully i will learn this stuff yippeeeeeee i love learning about computers

ok finally figured it out. and this is a well learned lesson. FOR ALL WHO SEE THIS WHEN I FIGURED IT OUT take a look

ok first off the cpu is a celeron D processor from what i have found out about the processor i have at home.

with only 256kb cache it wont run games for the computer like it would if it had 1 mb of cache or even 2 mb cache.

so now i gotta either buy a new cpu that is pentium 4 and not a celeron d or not play videogames no more:(

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.