Hey everyone !
I can not start the win XP sp2 firewall.

when i try to enable it i get the following messege:
"windows firewall setting cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running. do you want to start the windows firewall/internet connection sharing (ics) service?"

when i click yes, i get this messege:
"windows cannot start the firewall/internet connection sharing (ics) service."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is what all I have done to fix this problem and yet none of it has worked.

1) Reset the Winsock.
--a) Go to the command prompt.
--b) Type the command "Netsh winsock reset" (without the quotes), and press <enter>.
--c) This won’t take effect until after you re-boot in step 4.
2) Install and run a spyware removal program.
--a) Two free ones are:
----i) Spybot Search and Destroy.
----ii) Lavasoft’s Ad-Aware.
--b) I prefer Spybot S&D myself. (not a plug)
--c) Some spyware programs won’t let you activate your firewall, for obvious reasons.
3) Make sure the ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) service is set to start automatically.
--a) Go to the Control Panel.
--b) Double-click “Administrative Tools”.
--c) Double-click “Services”.
--d) Scroll to the bottom of the list; double-click “Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)”
--e) Make sure the Startup type is set to Automatic.
--f) Click Apply, if needed.
--g) Click OK.
4) Restart your system.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have had to install Zone Alarm and it works fine ! I still want to fix the problem and any help would be MUCH appreciated !!!!!!!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920074

good luck

Hey Caperjack !
I've tried everything Microsoft said to do and everything else that everyone has said to do from registry edits to simple tweaks. I even reinstalled Service pack 2 and that didn't help. I didn't take the original Service Pack off because I didn't know how. If you have anymore input, I'd love to here from ya ! Thanks for everything !

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.