If you were asked to "Create a simple website, that would require weekly maintenance":

1. How much would you charge for the website?

2. How much would you charge for weekly maintenance?

Thanks, Regards X

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

PM Sent :)

Regards
<FAKE SIGNATURE>
-----------------------------------------
Our Creativity Makes us Uniqe

Hello,it depends of the topic of the site and its activities.However when I design my websites,I do offer free maintenace for one year plus seo.If you are still looking,then come to me

If you were asked to "Create a simple website, that would require weekly maintenance":

Thanks, Regards X

This depends on your web site's positioning, the value of its existence. If your site does not have much value, you do not have to spend time and money on it. If your site is valuable or you interested, you can try.

It depends of number of pages you want and what type of page you want , e.g. flash, html,php, how good the banned should be, do you need seo
It might not be required at all , if you have built the website correctly.

Figures please people !!!

flash = $1

php = $2 per page etc

just an estimate so I can get a feel.

Seems like its not profitable to be a web designer anymore :(

If the website is configured right, you could charge the client a small fee to develop them a content management system so that they could update the content, add to it, etc.

If you are needing to update it yourself and it is a basic web page (mainly html), then I would charge a weekly fee at 25% an hour of what you would have charged them for the site's creation. This is enough for your time depending on how much maintenance is involved.

The main thing to consider - is it getting in the way of you working with new clients. If it is, then you might suggest a content management system of sorts for the client.

Hmmm

But how much would you charge for a CMS of php/mysql?

Something on a medium scale.

Nothing small but nothing big.

It would all depend on how much functionality that your client would need.

I have similar questions. I am walking into an existing basic html site with multiple info rich php pages. I will eventually redo his site in flash but is asking for a ton of changes on the php pages now. What would anyone charge for maintenance of those pages or redesign of site in flash. I am relativity new to the whole game.

I never got a straight up answer :(

Goodluck, im still in the loop!

What I gathered get as much as you can and that is abit above a fair amount.

Thanks for the Info.

I see due to the auctioning type of the work (alot around on the internet) I see it abit low balled for "real world" situations, agree? disagree?

Thanks, Regards X

First and foremost, decide what YOUR time is worth to you.

Is this something that you would be doing in your spare time? In addition to a full-time job? How much is 8 hours of sleep really worth?

Set yourself a fair hourly wage. The days of getting 100 - 200 dollars an hour for tweaking html are pretty much all but gone. I'm sure there's still a few holding out, but I wouldn't expect to see anything like that.

The fact that you're asking likely means that you probably haven't done a lot of this type of thing before. That in itself may bring your rate down some. We all have to start somewhere though right?

Ok, so, say you come up with an hourly rate of 20/hr. This is a pretty acceptable number, but remember to keep track of your actual time spent coding. Some projects may require that you give a flat rate, so do your best to estimate. Unless you're very good at estimating, I suggest padding it somewhat, probably by 25% at least.

So, for a basic 5 page site.. say it might take you 5-10 hours. 20 * (5 or 10) would be 100-200 dollar. Pad it a little, and you're looking at roughly 125-250. This is what you've decided that your time is worth to you.

Whether or not that will be acceptable to your client will depend on factors completely outside of your control. So you may end up short changing yourself just to get the job. I see this happen a lot with flat rate projects. Hourly is the way to go.
I would use the same process for determining updates.

If the project is long term, I would definitely suggest trying to work out an agreement where updates are given and you are paid weekly or bi-weekly at most. It's a step towards protecting both yourself and the client from disappointement at the conclusion of the project.

As always however, YMMV.
Good luck.

Either create a cms driven site and let the end user make changes.

My old company used to charge a rate of £40 per hour, things like changing a picture take about 1 minute so dose not workout in huge profits like you would expect.

if you ask to advanced developers then price will be

weekly maintenance for small website : $100-$200

Hi there

Much much would you charge for a 'Content Management System' if I was using an open source application?

I was thinking of charging a service fee of $20/month just for the CMS. Do anyone have a different opinion?

Many thanks in advance
CHEERS :)

Hi there

Much much would you charge for a 'Content Management System' if I was using an open source application?

I was thinking of charging a service fee of $20/month just for the CMS. Do anyone have a different opinion?

Many thanks in advance

Yes I do have different opinion. This whole question about how much to charge does not take in concern the geographical location of your business so is absolutely misleading. As person living and working in London I would have to charge much more then somebody working from Wales or Scotland (at this point we are still in UK), however I couldn't ask the same price also if I was in Slovakia, any part of Africa or Asia.
So full research in what type of services and price plans of my competition in business would be better start then question to global community...

Yes I do have different opinion. This whole question about how much to charge does not take in concern the geographical location of your business so is absolutely misleading. As person living and working in London I would have to charge much more then somebody working from Wales or Scotland (at this point we are still in UK), however I couldn't ask the same price also if I was in Slovakia, any part of Africa or Asia.
So full research in what type of services and price plans of my competition in business would be better start then question to global community...

?? Do you find my question misleading? If so, how is that so and not in my location of business? If I was asking for an estimate price on CMS, since someone recommended CMS on this thread and to my understanding, it seems like my question is still relavant or were you referring to my question not being under the same topic 'How much would you charge to maintain a website?'
However, this thread wasn't posted on a specific price in a location/country http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread128362.html??

Does anyone else finds this misleading? If so, then I will be happy to open up a thread and post my question there.

True eh! I just signed up today, but yea cool bananas and thanks for the warm welcome (MOD).

Guys, you gotta take into account the differences that exist between static websites and CMS. Thus, maintaining a static website is far more less than a CMS even though the writer describes his/her needs as simple.
For example;
A content management website will need a database
A simple static html website needs no database
With CMS websites, sometimes glitches do occur that will require even if weeks to sort out the mean errors.
With a CMS website, the datase may crash
With a CMS website, the code itself can crash

Because of some of these questions that needs answering, giving a quote on this question is not professional. I doubt if more detail has been given relating to the question

Thanks, this was very helpful.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.