Sorry for the duplication but I did not get a response in the old "post703047"(2006).
I looked at http://www.daniweb.com/forums/post703047.html. I tried all the suggestions and msconfig.exe did not work. I even checked the registry and compared it to another registry in a configuration that did work, yet I saw no difference but I could not tell everything was the same because there were so many numbers. I even brough over other copies of the file from configurations that had working msconfig.exe but they did not work.

Please look at my entries in http://www.daniweb.com/forums/post703047.html. I have another configuration with the same problem. Both were slipstreamed with nLite using windows xp sp3. I used the following sp3:WindowsXp-KB936929-sp3-x86-ENU.exe- the version for pros that came out prior to the final release. It is not a Beta version or a pre release version.

Jim

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

what are the permissions for system32 folder?

have you tried copying the msconfig.exe to a different folder, like My Documents?

yes I copied it to several folder including a new folder. None worked.

What are permissions?

Hi,

Try a few simple things first:-

Verify Window’s Files

1. Go “START”, “RUN” type “CMD” Press “OK” or Boot PC into “safe mode with command prompt”
2. Type sfc /scannow (note:- space after sfc)
3. Windows file protection will check your files. Follow any prompts; you may be required to use your XP CD.
4. Re-boot your PC

Check Malware

Go to http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe
and download and run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

1. Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
2. Make sure you put a check in the Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
3. If an update is found, let it download and instal.
4. Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
5. When the scan is complete, click OK, then click Show Results to view the results.
6. Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
7. When completed, a log will open.

Check Spyware

Go to www.safer-networking.org and download and run Spybot

There is no change. Several malware were removed by both software. I also have AVG 8 running.

Hi,
You can try a windows repair but you will have to reinstall SP3 again after repair.

To Repair Windows XP from your XP CD…..

1. Re-start PC with XP CD in drive (Have your serial number handy)
2. As your PC starts press “F12” for boot menu (Or what your PC may ask for)
3. Scroll to and select “boot from CD.”
4. At prompt “Press any key to boot from CD” Press “Any key”
5. In the Windows XP Setup window, Press “Enter” to set up windows XP, (Don’t worry, this is a repair only, not a fresh install.)
6. At next window, Press “F8” to accept license agreement
7. Wait until windows displays your current version of XP and asks “To repair the selected windows XP installation press R”
8. Press “R”
9. Enter serial number when prompted.
10. Wait for files to be copied (PC will indicate 39 mins, it will take a lot less.)
11. When asked to adjust Regional language options, click “Next” as it is still set.
12. PC will re-boot.
13. If you have AVG Free, copy serial number to a file as you will lose it on repair. After repair a window will pop up asking how you want to treat AVG, Click repair and when prompted enter serial number.
14. Check to see if problem still exists.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.