I installed successfully, it is in python26/Lib/site_packages but it won't import. Here's the error message:

>>> import pygame

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in <module>
    import pygame
  File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\pygame\__init__.py", line 93, in <module>
    from pygame.base import *
ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

It's really annoying... I'm using Vista

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

May be its version incompatibility.
Check for the correct version to use with pygame.
It worked fine with Python 2.5 on which I work

-Satish

The version I installed ends in '26', so I thought it should work... I'll double check though, I'm using Python 2.6.1

I assume that you installed PyGame with:
pygame-1.8.1release.win32-py2.6.msi

The missing DLL seems to be base.pyd and it should be in your directory C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages\pygame

Vista on occasion does screwy things when installing, depending on your security settings. It does not like DLLs and sometimes does not install them, but also does not let you know.

I tried some simple PyGame programs with Python26 on my Vista machine and they seem to work.

Also, did you have Pygame version 1.7.1 installed previously?
There is a note in their download page to remove it completely, since they have changed installers and the versions will clash.

Well, the laptop is brand new, so it's the first and only version I've installed. Is there anywhere I can download the missing .dll?

Well, the laptop is brand new, so it's the first and only version I've installed. Is there anywhere I can download the missing .dll?

Did you check the directory for base.pyd? Is it really missing? You could try to reinstall it.

My C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages\pygame directory contains a huge amount of .dll and .pyd files. Chances are that more than just one is missing. Maybe you could copy the whole directory from a friend with an XP machine.

I would highly suggest reinstalling and making sure you install under admin for everything.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.