i have couple of videos that are WM files. these files are quite big and i was wondering how could i reduce the size so download wont take long..
which tools can i use to do this?

thanks

Recommended Answers

All 23 Replies

Hi there,

There are many ways to do that and I think the best option in terms of end result's size and quality would be to encode them in DivX.

But, I think Windows Movie Maker can provide you with very good results as well (I assume you have Windows XP, also make sure u have the new version (v2) of Windows Movie Maker which is available for free - Windows Update should offer it for you if you don't already have it.)

Just run Windows Movie Maker from your start menu (or just go to RUN=> type "moviemk" then hit Enter)

Once it's loaded, go to the File menu and click on Import into collections...

Browse to your original file location, click on it and make sure that the check box for "Create Clips for video files" in not checked then click on Import

Soon you'll see a thumbnail of the video file you clicked on. Right Click on the tumbnail and click on Add to Storyboard

Now from the File menu click on Save Movie File...

Click on My Computer then Next

On the next screen Enter the name you desire and the location for the new file to be saved (make sure it's a different name or location from the original) .. Click Next

The window you should be at right now is where you'll have control over the file size and quality. Just make sure you click on "show more choices..." then make your desired choice from all the different options there. This depends on the type of video you have and the desired file size so I'll leave it to you to make the right choice, all the info is on that screen just go over it and make your choice.

Once done, click next and the file will be saved ... after it's done view it and if you don't like it for some reason repeat all the steps but change the qulity or size settings to get a better result.

Ok I hope it works out for you. Good luck.

Ciao for now.

If you are running Windows XP try using Windows Movie Maker

Kev

Is there any movie editing software available for Windows 2000? If not, what movie editing programs can anyone suggest for reducing video size?

Thank you.

regards

Catherine

Thank you DaveSW, I am investigating both options. Any other tips/advice from anyone on the subject would be much appreciated.

regards

Catherine
PS I am on Windows 2000

Dear Ramwire...

Thank you very much for this very usefull tips.
Actually I was searching for a software to compress the video files while having the Windows Movie Maker in my system.

Thank you again,
L. Ramasamy
India.

Dear Ramwire...

Thank you very much for this very usefull tips.
Actually I was searching for a software to compress the video files while having the Windows Movie Maker in my system.

Thank you again,
L. Ramasamy
India.

You're welcome, I'm glad to be of any help.

Catherine, if you're still looking for a program try the new free DrDivX at http://labs.divx.com/DrDivX
It should work with Windows 2000 as well.

Ok then...

Ciao for now.

Dear Ramwire...
I want to convert my video files in to .3gp format to use with my mobile phone, Is there any softwares (Preferably free softwares).
Can you help me in this regard?

L. Ramasamy

I am sitting behind firewall, its not at all allowing me to download anything from the net (even .mp3).
I cannot install any software also.
So is it possible to download files from the net - using any online web proxy like applications?

I am trying to reduce the size of my movie from my camera. My videos are in MOV format. windows movie maker says it doesn't support that format. Is it possible to change the format and if so what should it be changed to. Thanks, Jodyj

i wish to send a movie by mail to my friend i am able to reduce t size of t movie from 700 mb to 11 mb using windows movie maker but i dono how to expand it to t original size (if i know this only i can send t movie to my friend so say how to get back t good quality video)reply soon thanks.

what if i have a mac osx?? and i want to reduce the MB on a video that haves 164mb??? how can i do that?! thanksss alex

I am trying to reduce the size of my movie from my camera. My videos are in MOV format. windows movie maker says it doesn't support that format. Is it possible to change the format and if so what should it be changed to. Thanks, Jodyj

Windows Movie Maker likes WMV format

so you need to convert MOV to WMV
for this task have a look at VidCrop
http://www.geovid.com/VidCrop/

Things You Will Need: -
1. Virtual Dub - Download http://jaist.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforg...alDub-1.7.1.zip
2. Goldwave - Download http://www.goldwave.com/downloads/gwave518.exe
3. A Computer – Can Not Download
4. A Brain – Can Not Download. But Mine Is For Sale on Ebay

Goldwave
By, Sam Fisher (Punisher0286)

1. File -> Open -> Select which file from which you want to extract the audio from.
2. The Audio extraction will begin. Wait for it to finish.
3. Click on File-> Save as -> Write the File name you want to save it as
a. Make sure the drop down menu says Wave (*.wav) [Save as type]
4. It will start saving the new wav file. Now let this finish and after that it does not matter what you choose in Goldwave
5. Close Goldwave and then follow the process of Virtual Dub

Note: - The end result for a 350MB original video file is approx a 450-500 MB wav audio file. So make sure you have enough space.

Virtual Dub
By, Admin@DiscussTV.net

Use Virtual Dub to Encode
When it comes up here's how to compress:

1.) Go to File -> Open Video File -> Select file you wish to compress
2.) Click video -> compression
3.) Choose Xvid-mpeg-4 codec from left menu then hit the configure button on the right If you don't have the XVID codec download it from: http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/ 4.) Set to 1 pass - CBR with a bit-rate (kbps) of 421. Click ok to close the window.
4.) Click video -> Filters
5.) In the box that popped up click "add"
6.) Go down the list and choose "logo (1.4)"
7.) In the input file download and use this image: - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HCSQ07EF
8.) Set the duration to 421 then hit the preview button and move the x/y sliders until the little image is centered.
9.) Click ok on everything and then move over to the audio tab (that completes image overlay)
10.) Click on The Audio Tab and then click on 'Full Processing Mode'. This is very important because without this, the Encode will again go bad.
11.) Now click on the Audio tab again and then click on "Wav Audio' as shown and then V-Dub will ask you to choose a file
12.) When it asks you to choose a file - Refer to the file which you got from the gold wave processing by saving a .wav file which I asked you to remember where you saved it.
Please Note: - On the Extensions Drop Down Menu Please Choose (All Files) because otherwise the *.wav wont show otherwise.
13.) Click Audio -> Compression
14.) Choose Mpeg Layer 3 on the left -> choose from the list on the right 48kb/s at 24hz
15.) Now the final step: Click On "File" and Then "Save As" & The OK After choosing the file name

©Sam Fisher. Just make sure you credit DiscussTV.net Admin & Mod Team when you promote this Tutorial. No Permission Needed.

ramasamy_l - start a new post with your question and I shall assist you there

When I try to download goldwave it says bad site. I don't know if its a problem with my network or something

thanks
rellik232.googlepages.com

Yeah I think that its really good tool so want to suggest it too!!

There are many compress tools available on internet ... Install them and reduce the size of video..

It's right solution!!! =)) I also advice VidCrop!!!:*

Thank you all for your advice. Regards Catherine

I would try to make them into Flash Videos.
Flash compression is great. You can get a free trial from Adobe.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.