Hi

I have created a project using C# and SQL SERVER 2005.

I want to deploy the project so that I can create .msi file.

Can anyone help me with the steps I should follow to create the setup file?

Also in which editor I should add then database and how can I add it?

Please somebody help me out!

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

hey, u wudnt need any other editor to deploy it.
If u want to deploy the proj on the comp wher u created the project, then ur SQL SERVER 2005 will act as the server, u need not keep the file during the deployment.
and if u stil need to deploy it on other machine, just post ur query to me, i think i can help u out.

here are the steps u can follow to deploy the project.
open the visual studio, in tat
file->new->project.
select other project types -> setup and deployment.
give the name as u wish, complete that formalities.
part2:
file > add > existing project.
select the projectname.csproj file and click open.
select file system on target machine and select action > add special folder > program files folder.
action > add > folder (give the name of the project) > enter
action > add > project output.
ensure Primary Output option is highlighted and click OK

if u want to create a short cut during the installation, then right click the primary output in the folder and then give create short cut,
drag the shortcut n place it in user's desktop.

now build the solution or press the F6 key.
ur deployment is over, close the visual studio.
now u can see the setup.exe file as well as the setup.msi files in the path u specfied initially...

hey, u wudnt need any other editor to deploy it.
If u want to deploy the proj on the comp wher u created the project, then ur SQL SERVER 2005 will act as the server, u need not keep the file during the deployment.
and if u stil need to deploy it on other machine, just post ur query to me, i think i can help u out.

here are the steps u can follow to deploy the project.
open the visual studio, in tat
file->new->project.
select other project types -> setup and deployment.
give the name as u wish, complete that formalities.
part2:
file > add > existing project.
select the projectname.csproj file and click open.
select file system on target machine and select action > add special folder > program files folder.
action > add > folder (give the name of the project) > enter
action > add > project output.
ensure Primary Output option is highlighted and click OK

if u want to create a short cut during the installation, then right click the primary output in the folder and then give create short cut,
drag the shortcut n place it in user's desktop.

now build the solution or press the F6 key.
ur deployment is over, close the visual studio.
now u can see the setup.exe file as well as the setup.msi files in the path u specfied initially...

Thanks a lot for your reply!

I have to install the application to some other system and there is no SQL SERVER installed in that system. Then how could I add the database in my deployment process so that i can use it in another system.

Please help me out. I am in urgent need to deploy this with the database.

Thanks a lot for your reply!

I have to install the application to some other system and there is no SQL SERVER installed in that system. Then how could I add the database in my deployment process so that i can use it in another system.

Please help me out. I am in urgent need to deploy this with the database.

ok, i have done it in 1 way. but tats a long process, n this is the only way i could do, i am finding other ways to do the same n tats the reason i had some doubts on datasource = "localhost" n stuff like tat...

ok, look, this is a client server system as u knw.
so in order for ur client to work on it, he must have server instaled in his comp or u can make a connection over the internet n keep urs as the server.
let me xplain. there are 3 ways to go abt it.
1. make ur comp as the server and give the setup.exe file to ur client and make a connection thru internet which is always open.
2. if u want to install it in other system n that system is placed inside ur company, then, u can give a connection thru lan and keep ur comp as a server n make it work.
3. if u dnt want to establish a connection thru internet, then follow this,
try to install the sql server on the clients machine.
after instaling, take the data source name, then later, in ur code change the data source. but dt run that application, u ll obviously wont get a connection to the DB. just save the file, then make a setup.exe file for it using the ways i tld u,
now u can caary only the setup.exe file and the project.sql file wit u to the clients side.
execute the project.sql file at the clients side, now ur initial catalog is in the clients machine n the backend is created.
now the clinets comp wil act as the server.
now, everything is done, n u can install ur setup.exe file on the clients comp.
u ll have a short cut on the desktop and start using it right away..

its all done

take care..

commented: learn to spell -1

ok, i have done it in 1 way. but tats a long process, n this is the only way i could do, i am finding other ways to do the same n tats the reason i had some doubts on datasource = "localhost" n stuff like tat...

ok, look, this is a client server system as u knw.
so in order for ur client to work on it, he must have server instaled in his comp or u can make a connection over the internet n keep urs as the server.
let me xplain. there are 3 ways to go abt it.
1. make ur comp as the server and give the setup.exe file to ur client and make a connection thru internet which is always open.
2. if u want to install it in other system n that system is placed inside ur company, then, u can give a connection thru lan and keep ur comp as a server n make it work.
3. if u dnt want to establish a connection thru internet, then follow this,
try to install the sql server on the clients machine.
after instaling, take the data source name, then later, in ur code change the data source. but dt run that application, u ll obviously wont get a connection to the DB. just save the file, then make a setup.exe file for it using the ways i tld u,
now u can caary only the setup.exe file and the project.sql file wit u to the clients side.
execute the project.sql file at the clients side, now ur initial catalog is in the clients machine n the backend is created.
now the clinets comp wil act as the server.
now, everything is done, n u can install ur setup.exe file on the clients comp.
u ll have a short cut on the desktop and start using it right away..

its all done

take care..

Thanks for your reply.

Then should I copy the database separately to another system.

For your information my system i s not connected through network.

Please reply then how should I copy the database to the client machine?

Thanks for your reply.

Then should I copy the database separately to another system.

For your information my system i s not connected through network.

Please reply then how should I copy the database to the client machine?

well, i think i have explained it properly in 1 of the threads to u...
u must manually install the sql server at the clients comp, then take the data source name n changeit in ur code (VS) then deploy it without running the changed code. carry the installation file along with u, then first execute the code that u have written in sql, everything that u ll require and then run the setup.exe file, it ll be installed n then start off with the running of the project. it ll 100 % work...

well, i think i have explained it properly in 1 of the threads to u...
u must manually install the sql server at the clients comp, then take the data source name n changeit in ur code (VS) then deploy it without running the changed code. carry the installation file along with u, then first execute the code that u have written in sql, everything that u ll require and then run the setup.exe file, it ll be installed n then start off with the running of the project. it ll 100 % work...

Thanks for your reply.

Check out this article from Microsoft: Embedding SQL Server Express into Custom Applications

By: Robert Walters

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.