<< Forked from http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread208776.html >>

Exactly niek_e ... sorry, we're actually required to fulfill antispam regulations to keep information about every user who registers with us on record.

Have never even heard of such regulations (might I ask who's regulations these are?). Couldn't you still follow regulations by keeping sign-up info, whilst deleting account? I know some sites (Yahoo for example) who will retain records for a number of months, and freeze re-usage of that user ID for that period, then delete and free-up that user-name. Just seems a lot fairer IMHO

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Have never even heard of such regulations (might I ask who's regulations these are?).

Obviously it is where this site is registered. How much more of the running of this website do you want to know?
Perhaps you can write up a list and put them all in one post?

Obviously it is where this site is registered. How much more of the running of this website do you want to know?
Perhaps you can write up a list and put them all in one post?

No need to be a smartarse!

I've asked all of two site-management/design type questions (or question threads if you want to be pedantic).... The first being over the "soft" removal of spam-type threads - which given that site-spamming is an issue that leaves the end-user wading through excess cr@p, is a valid question - has since been clarified. This is the only other question have co-raised... and given several sites (FaceBook most recently) have become infamous for making account deletion virtually impossible, is a perfectly reasonable query.

Obviously it is where this site is registered.

It may be obvious to you, but please don't assume it is obvious to everyone else. As someone who has not modded or run another forum (and given the fact that pretty much no sites/forums explain any of their rules as being the result of hosting regulations), for most of us, that would not be an obvious conclusion... thus I asked.

You have been warned already about your language. You need to take a little more control and remember that this is an open forum where people of all ages can view the content.
Anyway, if a website is registered in a given country, then it is bound to obey the laws thereof.
Daniweb is registered in the US of A and follows its regulations.

You have been warned already about your language. You need to take a little more control and remember that this is an open forum where people of all ages can view the content.
Anyway, if a website is registered in a given country, then it is bound to obey the laws thereof.
Daniweb is registered in the US of A and follows its regulations.

OK then; to rephrase, was no need to b a smart"alec" (is that better?). Maybe that seems harsh, but asked a fairly reasonable question (given most don't have access to your host's rules and regs) and got slapped for asking.

As aforementioned, while you no doubt - having moderated or been involved in the running of such forums - may understand the logistics and legal technicalities involved in hosting such a site, you just have to remember that most of us do not have that background info to tap into. Now I'm not doubting your response to the site being under US regulations, but keep in mind what even the "informed" have to go by.

Recently ZDnet posted a thread on how FaceBook had made it almost impossible to remove one's profile (the main concern being the way employers were using the site to filter potential job candidates). This was then followed by CNET's "Buzz out Loud" vid-cast, further analysing the situation. Now these are both US-based network, and neither made mention of the regulations are pointing to.

My point is not to criticise or contradict you, but simply to point out that while you may be in the know as to these specific rules and regs, most of us aren't. If we ask what (to most of us) seems a logical or reasonable question, just consider that we may not have access to info that you yourself have, before shooting us down.

what difference does it make whether you know the rules/regulations or not? If Dani wants to keep accounts forever, what difference does it make? You can always go into your CONTROL PANEL and delete any personal information that you may have posted there. If someone wants an account deleted then just simply stop posting or visiting DaniWeb.

commented: Exactly right. +31

what difference does it make whether you know the rules/regulations or not? If Dani wants to keep accounts forever, what difference does it make? You can always go into your CONTROL PANEL and delete any personal information that you may have posted there. If someone wants an account deleted then just simply stop posting or visiting DaniWeb.

Exactly what I think :).

IMO, the replies to the query posted by 'kaninelupus' have been a bit too harsh. After all it is the very purpose of the 'Daniweb Community Feedback' to help out the forum members regarding any sort of forum queries. Though I agree that the way the question was phrased seemed more like a demand than a query but still...

As someone once said, if one has to decide between posting a harsh reply or not posting a reply, one should rather go with the latter; avoids a lot of needless hassle IMO.

IMO, the replies to the query posted by 'kaninelupus' have been a bit too harsh. After all it is the very purpose of the 'Daniweb Community Feedback' to help out the forum members regarding any sort of forum queries. Though I agree that the way the question was phrased seemed more like a demand than a query but still....

Ya, re-reading, probably was. Was still peeved at time at being slapped for asking the question in the first place!

IMO, the replies to the query posted by 'kaninelupus' have been a bit too harsh.

Some would say that you reap what you sow :).

Exactly what I think :).

As admitted, may not have not worded the best, but there is actually a reason behind why I asked, that hasn't really been looked at, and have tried to explain in my other thread.

When you have serial site-spammers (such as in the case of Tipard), a whole tonne of userID's get generated and subsequently blacklisted because this issue, meaning those ID's will never be freed up as far as I understand.

Now in the case of someone who was a well-known member who left (for one reason or another), you obviously don't want that userID being reused, as would cause a raft of confusion and other issues. But it the case like the example above, we're talking about an ID which may have been used all of once, with few taking any notice of that username.

Using the method of freeing up the userID after a period of time (even if the basic account info has been retained, say listed by email address instead) would allow a perfectly legitimate new member to make use of the offending ID down the track.

As an extra, while admin/management would still retain a full record of said user (presumably satisfying any legal or host requitements), it would tackle the other side of the problem.

While yes one can remove any personal info from their profile and simply choose never to re-enter the site, there's still the publicly available record of everything they ever posted. The simple fact is, FaceBook has provided the perfect example (and this is not the only example, but serves the point) of how that really can be abused, such as by employers both filtering candidates, or monitoring the attitudes of present employees.

Now some sites kinda provided a get-around for that, allowing the user to delete/modify posts made (or even threads created) without any time-out limits (obviously still retaining an admin-accessible record), meaning at least any personal info posted could be removed at any point from public record if someone is finding said info is being used against them in some insidious manner. Would even that be considered by site-management as an alternative to account deletion?

While yes one can remove any personal info from their profile and simply choose never to re-enter the site, there's still the publicly available record of everything they ever posted. The simple fact is, FaceBook has provided the perfect example (and this is not the only example, but serves the point) of how that really can be abused, such as by employers both filtering candidates, or monitoring the attitudes of present employees.

Even if the username was deleted the posts would not be. Deleting those posts would probably destroy the continuity of all the threads in which that member posted. And that wound render all those posts next to useless to anyone.

Some would say that you reap what you sow :).

Crunchie, I know I'm not always to most politically correct, polished or tolerant. Apart form the fact have been in a bucket-load of pain these last weeks, am not the most tolerant of blatant idiots (would say "morons", but would likely get my head bitten off). That being said, no matter how nicely I've either disagreed with you, or shed a different angle on a thread to which you have posted, you have bitten my head off from pretty much day dot.

I've never claimed to know it all (god, I'll freely admit I come to PC's from graphics not programming etc, so a lot is self taught or through hard-taught experience). If I ask a question is not because I am "questioning authority" or "claiming to know better"... it is simply because something doesn't make sense on the information given, but would like to actually have explained so I can make sense of it (maybe I'm over-curious, but just like to make sense of things... is just the way I am). That is not to question the intelligence or competence of the site admin, but simply that, decisions are often made behind closed doors that effect everyone, and is nice to be able to get clarification.

NB: Crunchie - there are times when would have preferred to ask a question via PM so as to avoid even the appearance of contradicting you or confrontation, but you "sig" makes clear that would be pointless.

When you give wrong advice, expect to be criticised. When you accuse others of giving bad advice and are wrong yourself, expect criticism.
My PM's are not turned off.

When you give wrong advice, expect to be criticised. When you accuse others of giving bad advice and are wrong yourself, expect criticism.
My PM's are not turned off.

Do remember that there is often more than one way or notion on how to tackle a problem. Maybe am more cautious, but am simply wary of handing certain tools over to those who are simply not capable of cleaning up the mess if something goes wrong... maybe that's just me.

Given it seems many just not even capable of even using Google to do even the slightest amount of troubleshooting themselves, I'm a little hesitant to hand over the most powerful tools in the shed... I guess it's the same reason there are ppl I wouldn't even hand a box of matches to for fear they'd set themselves of fire :D

As to PM's, one can only go by the info you display in your sig:

Please do not PM me for help, (I will ignore you if you do). Instead, post in the public forum where others may benefit.

Not trying to be smart, but is all one has to go by :-/

help is the operative word there. If I meant it for everything, I would have "Do not PM me."
The majority of help I give is in the hijackthis forum. Quite a few ppl take it on themselves to PM me their hijackthis logs, even though it is written in the rules not to PM members and staff for help. Some still try, so I ignore them, but I let them know via my sig, that I will do so.
As for the way that you deal with problems, everyone has their own way and if it works for them, then it's all good.
A lot of hijackthis helpers take exception to other members jumping in on the logs because it can get very confusing for the helpee's wondering which advice to follow. You will find on the majority of sites that deal primarily with malware, only registered and recognised helpers can assist.
The last thing that someone like myself wants, is to come back to a thread and find that unknown ppl have advised this and that and the OP has done who knows what and made the problem bigger.
Some infections require a certain process to go through and if the steps are not followed, then the whole process may have to begin again.
Such is the case with the infections where the file names change on every reboot. What has been seen in a previous log is no longer there and instructions have to be given again and again etc.

A lot of hijackthis helpers take exception to other members jumping in on the logs because it can get very confusing for the helpee's wondering which advice to follow. You will find on the majority of sites that deal primarily with malware, only registered and recognised helpers can assist.
The last thing that someone like myself wants, is to come back to a thread and find that unknown ppl have advised this and that and the OP has done who knows what and made the problem bigger.
Some infections require a certain process to go through and if the steps are not followed, then the whole process may have to begin again.
Such is the case with the infections where the file names change on every reboot. What has been seen in a previous log is no longer there and instructions have to be given again and again etc.

I never thought about it that way. The only time have ever really posted for assistance has been in situations where multiple view have been helpful, so never experienced that confusion... can see what you mean when you explain it that way.... taken on board :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.