Since its no longer possible to use code tags without line numbers, suggest you change quote tags to retain spaces and tabs like code tags. I'm a little surprised that was not how quote tags should have worked anyway.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I agree kinda agree. Although it would be nice to see a second tag with mono spacing and no syntax highlighting for quick use I think it would make the average quote look not so good. So perhaps instead if another tag was added which made the text in monospacing but with no background color. For example, I could use the following text:
[mono]test first line
testing another line[/mono]
And the above would produce the below but in monospacing:

test first line
testing another line

Would be nice because then we could display things that are not code but need to be in monospacing.

or [quote=mono] blabla [/quote]

One way it was done ages ago elseweb was [code], [quote], and [syntax]. The syntax tags were used for the "fancy" code tags. Quote in monospace to me would look stupid.

[edit]Keeping the fonts, but limiting them, would also have handled the way [icode] is used. Some of the "common" solutions from other forums could work fine.

One way it was done ages ago elseweb was (code), (quote), and (syntax). The syntax tags were used for the "fancy" code tags. Quote in monospace to me would look stupid.

I agree there but it would be nice if we could at option make regular text monospaced without giving it a background color and making boldness an option. Below was my suggestion to a solution for non-code that needs to be monospaced-

test first line
testing another line

And the above would produce the below but in monospacing:

test first line
testing another line

If someone would comment on adding that bbcode tag which has no background color.

Wow, there is a bug in the quote reply, check the quote in my previous post.

You forgot to use [noparse][/noparse] tags. So all the tags posted by Dave were parsed, resulting in the crap above :)

I agree there but it would be nice if we could at option make regular text monospaced without giving it a background color and making boldness an option.

Right. In every other forum I frequent, I change the font to Courier New. Once upon a time, we could do that here. And that is what I was trying to say.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.