I use Windows XP SP1, and my system runs into problems when I am disconnected from the net. The connection tray freezes every single time, and the tray icon of the two computer screens which flash blue when transferring data doesn't disappear as they usually would when a system disconnects, and only one computer screen is blue, and remains blue. I know I'm disconnected though, because I can't browse the net etc. Right-clicking on the little icon doesn't do anything, and if I navigate to my network settings via the control panel, right-clicking on my connection gives me the option of disconnecting, oddly enough. When I click that, nothing happens. After trying that, I can't right-click on my connection in the network settings again, because it too has frozen. It's a strange problem.

Any time this happens, I have to reboot the system to gain control over the connections tray again. But, as I'm rebooting, the "End Task" prompt appears and says that the connections tray isn't responding, so I can either end the task or wait for Windows to do it itself. It makes no difference, because the result is always the same: as Windows is closing down, it gets to the "Saving your settings..." bit, and then freezes, and the system must be shut down via the power button. This only happens when the connections tray has to be killed. I can reboot normally any other time.

I use home networking (and share the internet connection), and I don't recall this problem happening before I began using a network. I'm thinking that this might be a factor in the problem. I also use Norton Internet Security 2005 (with anti-virus included), and perhaps this is the cause. I've tried tweaking little settings here and there to fix the problem, like configuring my connection so that it doesn't attempt to reconnect when disconnected. It doesn't help. It's damn annoying, because I have to do a "dirty" shutdown every time my connection decides to drop.

I've read up on the "Saving your settings..." issue, but none of the main reasons offered by websites seem to cover this particular problem.

Any ideas? hehehe

Thanks for your time :)

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

I have this EXACT problem!! I can't solve it myself through searching other sites and when doing so, came across this. If anyone knows how to solve this, please reply and help me also, or if you, Paddy, were able to solve this, please inform me how to :)

Many thanks in advance!!

SoupyC

Hey SoupyC! Welcome to the board hehe

Fortunately I did manage to solve this problem, but it was by accident lol. I bought a router so that I could ditch the Windows-based networking setup, and the router took over the role of my modem. This has cleared up all of my problems, not to mention the fact that it has made life easier with regards to filesharing on the network etc. If you use a home network I recommend using a router if you can afford one, because 99% of the crap you have to deal with when networking the usual way, including the problem this post is about, doesn't happen when you use a router - this is my own personal experience anyway...

Sorry I couldn't offer a more practical solution hehehe.

Thanks for the help! I'm actually considering a router, even though I currently have only one PC, I'm thinking of brigning another PC and a laptop into the house so that could well do it! In the meantime, if i buy a router, should the problem be solved with only one PC??? Any help again is greatly appreicated! :D

SoupyC

hey paddy and soupyC..u guys must have dealt with this problem till now but i was having it since one week.was realy confused what to do about it but now i guess i have found a solution to this problem.let me see if this continues to work.well the solution is that,i disabled the connection icon i.e. the mini computer sign in the tray bar underneath(which shows the packets sent and received) by unchecking the option from the connection's properties via control panel.

its working now.but just wanted to let u guys know if u still have some related problems.

sanchit mittal.
new delhi
india

I am having this same trouble and it's driving me insane. I connect to my work network from home via SSL VPN or PPTP VPN. Either way, when the Internet stops working (my ISP modem does not lose the signal, but my laptop does) the only thing I can do is reboot. The connections icon does not respond when I double or right click it. I can't disconnect, or reconnect without a reboot. This happens all day long and I'm about to throw the laptop out the window.

I will try your suggestion to disable the system tray icon and let you know tomorrow if it worked. Thanks much!

Gayle

Disabling the icon in the system tray did not work. I have the latest McAfee Virus engine and DAT files, and Windows Defender, and have scanned my laptop with both and came up empty.

Does anyone have another idea besides purchasing a router? I am constantly on the move, and can't take a router along with me everywhere.

Thanks!

I have the same problem, too for 1 week. I have tried reinstalling the drivers of the modem (I have crypto F200) but nothing. As you said the problem appears with all connections of my computer (local, firewire & internet)... So I started to think that maybe it's a problem of windows (I have XP PRO SP2)... Also I have tried many scans for viruses, etc with Kaspersky 7 & Ad-adware 2007 and I am sure it's not a virus...

P.S. I have removed the icons of my connections from the system tray and I am working of it.
I would be glad if you 'll manage to find out any other possible solution.. Thanks!

P.S.2. Could it be that I am using the onboard's network adapters for both local area connection and firewire?

I am having the same problem on a new HP laptop, including when I use a router. Really frustrating. Does anyone have a good answer?

Bill in beijing,
Open a new thread and supply information about your PC and exactly what problem you are having and what you do to cause the problem etc.

HI KIDS!!!

It is a known problem with XP SP1, and possibly SP2. Happens very rarely, but seems to have happened a lot more in recent times. I fixed it by updating XP... here. (sorry guys, you must be using internet explorer to go here.)

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.