Hi fellows! I went to use my computer and I got the blue screen right after when it boots up again past the windows xp logo. The error says "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area" with stop 0x00000050 (0xEC6B738D, 0x00000000, 0x8A70408C, 0x00000002) . I didn't install any new hardware or anything. Prior to that I was using the computer fine, I just closed the laptop (Dell inspiron 700m) withou shutting the system down, then when came back to it sometime later there was this error. Now the system won't boot not even in safe mode. The same error comes up. I'm trying to provideas much detail as I can... Can anybody help me?

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Hi,
According to Microsoft, that error should not stop you booting into safe mode. Go to this site and read about your code and how to repair...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329293
Post back if it will not help your situation.

It doesn't start in safe mode either. If you choose safe mode, it starts loading all that stuff and, right when you when it gets to agpCPQ.sys it pauses for a few seconds then goes to the same blue screen again, with the same error number

Hey, I just ran a diagnostics test on boot (Press F2 right when you turn computer on) and the "DST short status test" failed. I said "error 1000-0142 Msg - Unit 4 drive self test failed byte = 79" . That might be the problem. Anybody knows how to get around it? Thanks fellows!

There are a couple of possible causes for that error.
1. The hard drive has bad sectors (no fix) and should be replaced.
2. Incompatible AGP controller driver.
3. BIOS needs updated
#2. A similar problem occurs with AGP440.
Using your Xp disc to enter the recovery console, at the prompt enter "chkdsk c: /p/r" (without quotes) and repeat this procedure till there are no errors. Exit and reboot.
If that does not help try this;
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324764
Although it is for AGP440.sys, use the same method
#3. Obtain the latest BIOS for your particular PC/Laptop from the manufacturer and update it. The manufacturer should supply detailed info on how to do that.

Here's another link that may be of some help, start reading from post #16
http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic21511.html

If you find bad sectors on you hard drive it does not automatically mean it is should be replaced as advised above

In most scenarios, it does Bob. You should do a little more in-depth research before posting the first 2 sites you run across.
Given the fact that he can no longer boot to windows and the DST failed and most importantly, the error 1000-0142, is usually indicative of a failing hard drive.

When a sector is marked bad, a disk tool will remap that sector to another sector (spare sectors) on the hard disk. At that point every time the drive is given a command to write/read to/from that sector it has to refer to another sector causing extra head movement, which can eventually degrade the disk even faster over time.
Fixing/repairing bad sectors doesn't mean to continue to use the HD, these are generally temporary fixes to try and recover and back up any important data/files so the drive can be replaced.

In most scenarios, it does.

There are a couple of possible causes for that error.

Hi,
If you find bad sectors on you hard drive it does not automatically mean it is should be replaced

I think I said it does not AUTOMATICALLY mean it has to be replaced, I did not say it will not need to be replaced. I gave the OP an opportunity to explore other possibilities before he just scrapped his HD on the advise of "NO FIX" "SHOULD BE REPLACED". It is quite possible that he will need a new hard drive but it is not a known fact. Before he just scrapes his drive he should investigate any and all possibilities and then and only then should he buy a new hard drive. Even your statement "most scenarios" makes it clear that it is not inevitable that the hard drive is beyond repair.
They were not the first two sites I came across (as you stated) but the first two that explained the information I was looking for. I have repaired hard drives in the past and I wanted to find a site that would inform the OP what I have done in the past and that may offer some hope to his situation.
So again I say to the OP, try to fix your hard drive, don't just assume that it is "No fix, replace". You may need a new one but check this one first. Don't pay out good hard earned cash for something that you don'r yet know you need. Once you have exhausted all attempts at repairing your drive (other than professional hard drive restore companies) you will then be left with no option but to buy a new one. Then it will be "No fix, replace"

Hi fellows! So I tried all of the above suggestions, and still the same blue screen. I ran some diagnostic tests through the Dell bios and the hard drive failed the "read" and "verify" tests at a particular block. It said "Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected" with Dell error code ofoo:0244 for the read test and error code 0f00:1A44 for the verify test. So I think I will end up replacing the hard drive. Can the data still be recovered though? If I could at least get my programs and projects that were in there, it would really help.

Hi again,
I have found the program in my signature (UBCD) the best for booting and collecting data from an unbootable OS. There are many others including Linux live CD.
The drive has bad sectors and any data on those sectors will be lost if you can not get a program to read them. UBCD has a couple of programs included with it that may help.
If you have tried all you can and still have data to recover, put the drive in your refrigerator (wrapped in plastic) for an hour or so then try again. I know it sounds stupid but sometimes it works, if it works, it will not last long, so you need to get any information off ASAP.
You stated that you wanted to get your programs off the drive as well as your projects, the programs will have to be reinstalled from their original CDs, you can't just copy them to the new drive.

There is a program called HDD Regenerator (not freeware, but trial version will help too). It re-magnetizes the failing sectors so they become readable (and usable) again. So,

isn't necessarily so. (although, bad sectors will most probably reappear, but it will give you a chance to do a backup before you replace the drive).

Difference between the trial and paid for version is that trial recovers one sector per session.

Hey fellows! So after working on it a little more, I wrote down the files it would get stuck when booting is safe mode, got my windows disk and did repair installation on the system. Some files wouldn't read off the cd though. Those I had to download off the net. The system is running fine now. Thanks for all the help

Hi,
Good to hear that everything is OK now, please mark this thread as solved and good luck.

Solved? Hmm... It's only question of time before the bad sectors reappear. The only REAL solution here is drive replacement.

Recently I had such case. Bad sectors appearing anywhere on the drive. Mostly in the areas of pagefile, but several times the system drivers and/or registry files were affected, thus rendered the OS unbootable.

My advice to Dihno is to backup registry files and key drivers. That's what kept my OS going until I replaced the drive.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.