I already Know Ancient Dragon is fan of MSVS due to its debugging features and I use C::B because it is the only I have come to love after failing to love both VS Express and Codelite. So what do you love to use when it come to C/C++?
Just curious ;)

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

the compiler i am using is MS C++ 2005. it runs better on my machine than 2008 does and i started with MS C++ 6.0 so it was a good and easy transition for me. the minimize code feature is really nice as well.

Better get used to Visual Studio. It's the most used IDE for Windows development out there by far.
It's actually a very good (in the later versions, not talking v.6 here) product, but it's very large and complex which means beginners often don't like it because there's so much to learn.

The only thing about VC++ 2008 that I do not like (same with version 6.0) is those blasted docking windows. Every once in awhile I accidently undock a window and have a real hard time putting it back into position.

I like code::blocks its pretty simple does what i need it to, loads fast, and no massive extras that i don't need(err well my problem with msvc is too many buttons and menus but i can use it just fine). I don't use debuggers though C::B supports them, plus C:B has snakes and tetris fun and work sweet. Sometimes ill go with defauit notepad (or in my case gedit). Although on windows msvc is good for massive projects, but msvc is slow on my machine because i have 733mhz intel.

I've recently been upgraded at work from VS2003 to VS2008 (woo hoo I can finally see inside STL Containers without having to use my own logging class!! :) ).

Visual Studio is a great IDE, the debugging features are second to none, VS2008 is definitely my favourite IDE on Windows.

But I mainly use my *nix laptop for developing at home, so Code::Blocks with gcc/g++ is the order of the day there. Debugging with C::B and gdb can be difficult, but it's worth the effort IMHO.
C::B is really fast to start up and has loads of different built-in project templates, so just like visual studio, you can get a new project up and running pretty quickly.
The wxSmith plugin for C::B is a godsend, allowing RAD with wxWidgets. C::B is very similar to VS in many ways, but perhaps not quite as powerful or as richly featured....But hey, it's free!
It's also cross-platform, so it works equally well on windows and mac too!

I have also tried Anjuta, Netbeans and Eclipse on *nix. I found that Netbeans and Eclipse were just too damn slow to start up (or to do anything with) and I never really got on with Anjuta... I just didn't like it.

Occasionally I'll use Emacs to edit and compile simple single-file programs (like when helping people with code here on Daniweb).
Or use gEdit and compile with the command line....Sometimes you've just gotta do it via the command line! heh heh!

In the past, I've also used things like Metrowerks Codewarrior and a few versions of the Borland C/C++ IDE's on windows. I seem to recall that Codewarrior was quite good, but I hated the Borland IDE and all of the non-portable, non-standard extensions that were used by the compiler.

Then there's Bloodshed DevCpp, which I found was OK for simple programs, but I found it to be rather buggy when dealing with larger, more complicated projects.

So overall, IMHO I'd say the best IDE's are VS (on windows) and Code::Blocks (on *nix)

Cheers for now,
Jas.

>So what do you love to use when it come to C/C++?
I think love is a strong word for a tool. I like various features of the different IDEs I use, and choose among them based on my needs (if I choose to use an IDE at all). Visual Studio, Code::Blocks, and Borland Builder are the most commonly selected in my arsenal.

I have a tendency not to use an IDE on Unix/Linux, but programming without an IDE on Windows is irritating.

I've been a SlickEdit user since about 1998. I've enjoyed using this same editor while writing code to various embedded targets and the occasional PC utility. I do generally have to deal with vendor-specific IDEs in parallel, but they generally annoy me by having a much crappier set of editing tools.

Better get used to Visual Studio. It's the most used IDE for Windows development out there by far.
It's actually a very good (in the later versions, not talking v.6 here) product, but it's very large and complex which means beginners often don't like it because there's so much to learn.

Yes you are right! There was so many stuffs in VS 2008 Express that I uninstalled

I prefer VS 2010 over vs '08 since it includes everything I would most likely need for years to come.

The only feature I would want included is when I mouse over a function call, instead of just showing me its paramters.

It would show me the entire code in a pop up like when highlighting a collapsed code section.

This way I don't have to be jumping around page to page to view it when I have bigger projects.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.