Ok here is what I want... I want to read the Dictionary file, and output its contents into the dynamic-text.dat file... But it reads the dictionary file and it will not write to the dynamic-text.dat file and I have no clue why... what am i doing wrong.. when I split the code, both files can be opened and written to, but when its like this, they will not read from one and write its contents to the other! =( Also If I altered the program to allow the user to input a string of words into the file, it will only input the first word.. anyone got any ideas?

#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
#include <string>
#include <windows.h>
using namespace std;

int main () {
  string line;
  ifstream Dict ("C:/Users/Brandon/Desktop/Programs C++/Dictionary.txt");
  if (Dict.is_open())
  {
      getline (Dict,line);
      Sleep(1000);
            ifstream file ("C:/Users/Brandon/Desktop/test.txt", ios::out | ios::app | ios::binary);
               if (file.is_open())
               {
                 cout<< line <<" ";
               }
               else cout <<"Cannot Open 'File' for writing";
               file.close();
    Dict.close();
  }

else cout << "Unable to open 'Dict' for reading"; 
  Sleep(5000);
  return 0;
}

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

why do you have Sleep(...) ?

and normally "if(Dict.is_open()) " is used as a error checker. There is a lot of problems with you code. Instead of listing them all, I will show you a sample program
and you should contrast.

#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
#include <string>
#include <windows.h>
using namespace std;

int main () {
  string line;
  ifstream Dict ("C:/Users/Brandon/Desktop/Programs C++/Dictionary.txt"); //file to read
    ifstream file ("C:/Users/Brandon/Desktop/test.txt", ios::out | ios::app | ios::binary); //file to write

if (!Dict.is_open()) { return -1; /*error */ };
  if (!file.is_open()) { return -1;/ /*error */ };

while(!Dict.fail()){ //while we can read the file
      getline (Dict,line); //get the current line                   
      cout << line <<" "; //print line to screen
      file << line ; //write line to file
     }
  return 0;
}

I have not compiled this, but you should get an idea.

It would make much more sense to do this instead

ifstream Dict ("C:/Users/Brandon/Desktop/Programs C++/Dictionary.txt"); //file to read

ifstream file ("C:/Users/Brandon/Desktop/test.txt", ios::out | ios::app | ios::binary); //file to write
  if (!file.is_open()) { return -1;/ /*error */ };

Why open the test file if the Dict file didn't open?

#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
#include <string>
#include <windows.h>
using namespace std;

int main () {
  string line;

if (!file.is_open()) { return -1; /*error */ };

while(!Dict.fail()){ //while we can read the file
      cout << line <<" "; //print line to screen
      file << line ; //write line to file
     }
  return 0;
}

Its not the error problem for my code... the thing is no matter what i cant get it to write to the file... Im actually trying to write it to a .dat file in binary mode but it wont write for some awkward reason!... I can write strings to the file, but I cant seem to get the Dictionary file to output its contents into the .dat file... aka test.txt

18 C:\Users\Brandon\Desktop\Programs C++\plswork.cpp no match for 'operator<<' in 'file << line'

You're using ifstream instead of ofstream in this line:

You must also take into account that you won't be able to create files outside of the folder of your executable. You won't even be able to create a folder with plain c++ libraries.

then it should be something like:

ofstream file ("data/test.txt", ios::out | ios::app | ios::binary); //file to write

TIP: output a message after each error check so you can see where it specifically failed.

#include <assert.h>
#include <iostream>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <fstream>
#include <windows.h>
using namespace std;

int main ()
{
 string line;
    ifstream Dict ("C:/dictionary.txt"); //file to read
        ofstream ipDict;
        ipDict.open ("C:/dynamic-text.dat", ios::out | ios::app | ios::binary);
        ipDict << line <<" ";
        ipDict.close();      
    Dict.close();

return 0;
}

I fixed it like that... it works for me... I wanted to implement a way for users to point the program to their file but ill go search that up now.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.